How to ease a stuck sink holding ring?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Spiny, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Spiny

Spiny New Member

I have a leaking cloakoom sink & wanted to remove the basin waste/plug hole to add some sealant and refit.

I got the U bend off OK, but I can't seem to remove the large plastic nut holding the waste pipe to the sink. "Holding ring" I think this is called. It's 2" wide I can't find anywhere that stocks a calipers or wrenches that wide. The nearest I have is stilsons & they're too unwieldy as the ring is quite narrow.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Usually the best fix for something like that is to remove it (using a hacksaw if necessary), throw it in the waste bin, and install a new one.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Hammer and chisel to get a turn started. Might need someone to hold a pair of pliers into the strainer basket from the top. But they do make wrenches this size that are made for this application. I haven't needed one but they're out there. They even have a little notch to get a firm grip, too.
  4. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

5. Spiny

Spiny New Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

PLASTIC? I consider a plastic lavatory drain a temporary repair, and the way that "thing" works it should have caused a leak because it apparently puts NO pressure on the center around the drain thread which is where most leaks occur.