How to drain water out of pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
Hello. First timer to the forum here hoping to get some advice.
My drilled well is about eight feet from a small uninsulated shed where my bladder-type pressure tank is located. The PEX water line between the well and the shed is buried. I'd like to be able drain the water line where it enters the shed to prevent any damage due to freezing over the winter when it's not in use (I'm in Ontario, Canada).
I'm aware of bladderless pressure tanks in combination with snifter and drain back valves, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler manual option out there?

Reach4

Reaction score
For the tank itself , if the tank is in good shape, if you open the drain, the water should all drain out. The reason is that the air is pushing down on the diaphragm or bladder) which squeezes the water out of the bottom.

This is not based on experience.

To empty a pipe where you cannot put a drain at the low spots, you would open a faucet on both ends and blow with an air compressor.

Last edited:

Slugboy6000

Reaction score
I've heard that the local water utility uses long 'keys' to access underground valves. Installing something similar would allow me to manually drain my line when needed... If such parts are available.

Reach4

Reaction score
That valve would be called a "curb stop", so I guess you would tee into that and have the valve output into a dry well if your water table is low enough. It sounds as if it could be a path for contamination.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks