How To Drain Utility Sink To Washing Machine Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

KRAZYMATT

Reaction score
I am looking for information on how i would go about hooking up the drain for a new utility sink in my garage. It will be going next to my washer & dryer so i am trying to figure out how to use that same drain. Ive searched and searched on here and found a lot of posts but i am very confused on the venting and draining and p-trap configurations. I have attached a sketch of what i currently have and what i was planning on doing. Was gonna add the sink with a p trap drain and run a pipe from there on a slope and tie it into the washer drain down low. Can anyone advise me weither this is right or wrong or how i go about doing this. My house was built in the 60s. The drain pipe for the washer is a single 1-1/2" pvc pipe coming straight up out of the slab about 36" everywhere ive read says it has to be 2". Its been working fine so i think ill live with what i got but do want to get a sink added. i have a septic system i dont know if this makes a difference. thanks

Current Setup:
CurrentConfig.png

What I Was thinking about doing:
ProposedConfig.png

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Presumably, there's some sort of trap under the floor to serve the
standpipe. Putting another trap on the utility sink would be completely pointless.

Since 1 1/2 in. is marginally sized for a washer ouput, you might get backup into the
sink when the washer is draining. Trying to drain both the washer and a fullish sink
at the same time might very well cause overflow of the standpipe.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the drain has been satisfactory up until now, I see no reason for the sink to cause a problem (assuming
it would be just "water"). The drain itself certainly doesn't care whether the water is coming from a sink or a washer.

If there's going to be significantly increased volume - well, that would depend on exactly what's going on with
the plumbing there. I lived for several years in a house where the washing machine discharged into some sort
of storm drain system, and, by the laws of gravity, downhill into the neighbors property. Had been doing so for
at least thirty years. I would be reluctant to add a burden to that plumbing arrangement!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If there is not a trap and a vent behind the washer, it might not be hooked up to the building sewer at all.
The plumbing code has not changed much in the last 30 years, and that installation would have never passed inspection anywhere I have been.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks