How to drain the vertical 2" PVC sewage pipe above check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveR

Reaction score
Looks like we may need to replace the sewage ejector pump that handles the basement bathroom. The existing pump has been in place for the 14 years we have had the home, but it seems like the switch is going, etc. Time to do the job. The check valve in use makes a lot of noise so we would like to replace that at the same time with a quiet one.

Here is the problem. The existing setup does not have a valve above the existing check valve to shut off the rest of the 2" PVC pipe above it. As soon as that check valve is tinkered with there is going to be a lot of "action" from that pipe.

So the question is, what is the best way to handle the contents of that pipe when disconnecting the pump and exisiting check valve? Any thoughts? (I assume we will run a LOT of fresh water through that system before starting anything. Its still going to be one of those nastier tasks, though.)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT depends on what kind of connections the check valve has. But essentially you have to remove it while holding a big bucket underneath big enough to hold all the water in the vertical pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to run a few loads of clothes or take a few long hot showers before you open that up, then at least, there would likely be fewer nasty surprises that flow back out!

DaveR

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts...

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah, I really do not want to get any big surprises when that pipe starts flowing. I was hoping there was some professional plumber's secret for doing it lurking out there. Its probably a fairly common issue. Just thought I would ask before I went the route of remove the lower portion and pray!

For anyone else interested in commenting, this ejector pump is located in a basement area just outside the bathroom. It has two 2" pipes running through the metal cover. One, obviously, is source and the other comes out of the pump. On the pump side there is a common check valve about 12 inches above the floor. This check valve is the standard black valve with rubber boot ends held tight with automotive clamps. One "fear" I have is that, once I remove the pipe below it, the weight of the fluids above will push the check valve right off the pipe. The resulting splash would not be pretty and Yours Truly would probably be on the receiving end.

Oh, you can be sure that puppy will be well flushed before I go ANYWHERE near it!

Thanks again.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The pipe that does not have the check valve is a vent,and should be seperate from the rest of your plumbing
system.
And BTW Zoller is a good pump.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Run as much water/grey water through the system as possible.

Remove the screws from the lid, rotate the lid around the discharge pipe. The other pipe is a vent, not the source of the waste.

Undo the lower half of the check valve and separate the pipe from rubber holding it.

Now you should have just a check valve, with the ejector pit just below it, you can use a rod/stick whatever to push on the check valve (with a rubber glove on), and let the waste drain into the pit.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
One "fear" I have is that, once I remove the pipe below it, the weight of the fluids above will push the check valve right off the pipe. The resulting splash would not be pretty and Yours Truly would probably be on the receiving end.

Unless the check valve is completely worn out or broken this doesn't make any sense.

There is waste sitting on the check valve most of the time, the only time it isn't sitting there is when the pump is working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks