how to drain the drop pipe

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rick.a, May 22, 2008.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

I have a seasonal cottage at which I drain the plumbing for the winter. It's a shallow well (water at 15 ft) with a jet pump sitting on the lid in a small pump house.

It's a real pain to pull the drop pipe each fall and reinstall each spring. Since I drain the pump and leave it in the pump house, is there an easy way to get the drop pipe to drain down to the foot valve (or at least below freeze level), without having to disconnect it from the pump?

thanks.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

With a tee and plug on top of the drop pipe, you can pull the plug and displace the water with a stick or dowel about 6 or 8' long. The longer the stick, the more water you displace.
  3. rick.a

rick.a New Member

OK, I will try this in the fall, but this MIGHT be more work if I have to remove the roof to get the stick in place.

rick
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

The stick can be in multiple pieces. Just tie them together with a short piece of string or rope so you can pull them back out after the water is displaced. A smaller pipe with a cap on the bottom will also work. Then you could thread a few pieces together to get the length you need.