How to dismantle 1997 rjs-50 red lion jet pump.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rustyIdaho, Feb 23, 2012.

1. rustyIdaho

rustyIdaho New Member

I want to repair our cast iron rjs-50 red lion shallow well jet pump. Serial no. 2597, meaning 25th week of 1997 I learned. Motor would run but it doesn't deliver or move prime water.

I took off the four bolts and with a fair bit of pulling split the motor from the pump casing. Now, however, I can't figure out how to get into the casing to check impeller. Apparently the shaft was at least partly unscrewed already, and this allowed me to pull casing / impeller compartment from the motor. But I can't figure out how to open the seal plate -- seems tightly pressed without any entry mechanism. I'll attach photos.

P1010631.jpg P1010632.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I thought someone with one of these might help. Looks like just the seal plate is stuck. If you can get in from the suction side, you should be able to knock it out the back.
  3. rustyIdaho

rustyIdaho New Member

Thanks. Yep, just was stuck. Whacking it no good, but an old knife along the gasket and a hammer pried it off. It was difficult to tell there was a seam there.

For reference, Red Lion parts seem very hard to find, but D&B supply in Idaho carries impellers and rebuild kits in their Caldwell store. And they were very helpful.