How to disassemble this shower valve trim?

Users who are viewing this thread

tdierks

Reaction score
I'm trying to disassemble a shower valve; it was purchased from Kallista in 2006, but the part number is unknown.

Please see image below. From the handle end towards the valve body, there are four parts:

The outermost piece has a knurled shaft where the handle is mounted which appears to be integral with a nickel-plated piece about 1/3" deep ("A"). Then there's the main nickel-plated body ("B"). If I hold A steady and attempt to rotate B, or vice-versa, they rotate a little, but not far, and it doesn't feel like a threaded joint; the seam between them doesn't broaden.

There is also a grey plastic button mounted on part "B", not pictured, which is used to move the valve past its default temperature limits; there's no obvious way to manipulate the button to access a hidden screw or anything.

The plastic temperature ring ("C") doesn't rotate with respect to "B", nor will it shift in and out much. The part adjacent to the valve body, at the back, ("D") will unscrew a little bit, then it runs into the grey plastic ring.

What's the secret of how to disassemble this? Do I just need to force the A/B unscrewing more than I've been willing to thus far? Is there a hidden release in a seam?

pub

Thanks,
- Tim

tdierks

Reaction score
Look at page 9 in this link. I looks like it separates between “C” & “D”
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1012606_2.pdf

There could be a screw between "A" & "B"

http://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/shower-valves/634101.htm

That's awesome, thanks so much.

The way that I'm reading the PDF on page 9, it looks like the similar valve has a small cap that's press-fit onto the assembly (with "grip ring" and "O ring"). If that's a common fitting design, it's possible that mine pulls off between "A" and "B". Either way, if the assembly is similar, then it seems that pulling on the knurled shaft along the axis away from the valve body should cause it to separate at the appropriate location? (Knock wood.)

Thanks again,
- Tim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks