How to cover exposed lavatory pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

page 1

Reaction score
For ADA compliance drain and supply pipes from a lavatory sink must be covered and or insulated to prevent the person in a wheel chair from being burned. Are there chrome-plated pipes that are also insulated that will look good exposed? I already know about Plumberex and I do not want to disguise the pipes. This lavatory will have public traffic.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to check, but my guess is that the reinforced plastic (metal braid covering may be best) flexible pipes would qualify. They may have a sticker on them indicating same. Brass Craft www.brasscraft.com is one company among many that makes that sort of thing. You may be able to determine thatfrom their web site.

page 1

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
You'd have to check, but my guess is that the reinforced plastic (metal braid covering may be best) flexible pipes would qualify. They may have a sticker on them indicating same. Brass Craft www.brasscraft.com is one company among many that makes that sort of thing. You may be able to determine thatfrom their web site.

I can't seem to open their site (brasscraft.com). You mean that plastic pipes themselves are an insulator and therefore do not need any kind of covering? Thank you for responding to my question. If I cannot find a pipe that incorporates insulating qualities, and have to go to wrapping insulation over steel, what type of insulation do you suggest? Since the insulation would be exposed to view, I would prefer something that would disappear but look nice as well. I am even thinking that if I have to wrap the pipes I will tie it with some kind of twine and make the pipes look bound. Again, thanks for responding.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may have a setting preventing you from opening that site, it opened fine for me from the link. They could have been down for maintenance over the weekend.

I'm guessing, but believe that the fabricated plastic, reinforced stainless mesh wrapped supply tubes probably would meet the requirement. I don't think that you could get the outside of that hot enough to cause harm. BUT, you need to verify that. PVC drain pipes may be better in this instance than metal, too, as they don't transfer heat very fast. Don't look as good, but ...

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Home improvement stores sell a variety of pipe insulation. There is a split foam cylinder system and a fiberglass pipe wrap. The fiberglass is wrapped on the pipe then covered with tape. If people are going to be bumping this, durability may be a consideration. In that case, I would go to a HVAC supply house and ask for the foam wrap which is placed on refrigeration pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you mess up your ADA compliance there are sharks (lawyers) who will have $10grand out of your pocket so fast you won't know what hit you. Forget about it looking good. My preferred protection is the plastic shell that screws to the wall and encloses all the piping under a sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ada

ADA requires the foam or other insulated covers over the water lines and drain pipe. The lines themselves are noncompliant with that requirement. The covers are also to comply with the requirement that a wheelchair user will not hurt himself on the exposed shut off valves. You are not going to be able to make a "good looking" ADA compliant installation, although some are better than others.

page 1

Reaction score
thank you

Thanks to those of you who have offered suggestions. I believe the person who said there are no pipes themselves that are ADA compliant is correct. I am going to specify a product by Truebro called Lav Guard for the project - I just saw it installed at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC (A beautiful project I highly recommend people see. Of course there are details that were not implemented to the standards of the design....) There is another product by Plumberex which does not conform so closely to the pipes and therefore is uglier. Thanks again for your willingness to think about and type in an answer to my question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
That's definitely the way to go. Should have known that where there is a market there is a manufacturer. A simple Google search would have found this. What's great about this site is that it is a learning experience.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks