How to connect PVC to 7.25 in OD clay pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

pilk00

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a Fernco-type fitting for the unusual size sewer pipe in my front yard. So what do you do for a plan B? Assuming you'd rather not replace all the clay pipe? Surely there must be another way to connect clay to plastic, right? I searched 372 posts and didn't see any mention of such odd-sized clay pipe, but I'm hoping someone has an idea. Thanks!

pilk00

Reaction score
Thanks, BMW. I sent them an e-mail earlier today:

image.jpg

After posting here I started thinking I could cut the clay pipe beyond a union where it appears the pipe diameter drops down to a more standard 6 inches. That might make things a lot simpler. Anyway, will see what Fernco says.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you trying to put the connection OVER a tile hub? IF so, forget it. But 6" clay pipe should be about 7 3/4" o.d. If you are measuring the hub/bell, then your pipe is probably only 4" which would be more common. you MUST cut the bell off before you can connect to the pipe.

Last edited:

pilk00

Reaction score
Maybe my clay pipe IS 6 inch

Are you trying to put the connection OVER a tile hub? IF so, forget it. But 6" clay pipe should be about 7 3/4" o.d. If you are measuring the hub/bell, then your pipe is probably only 4" which would be more common. you MUST cut the bell off before you can connect to the pipe.

Thanks for your help, hj!

No, I'm not measuring the hub. My plan is to cut the clay pipe with a rented snap cutter (if I can find one).
image.jpg

Right now I have some temporary tubing in place as you can see. I'm also hoping I can adjust for the misalignment of the two pipes to be connected with a piece or two of PVC angle joints.

I checked again and my clay pipe OD is much closer to 7.25 in than 7.34 in. But maybe the popular 6 x 4 Fernco will work for me after all (?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks