How to connect metal pipe to PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

dereks

Reaction score
Under my bathroom faucet, there is a leak between the joint between the PVC P trap and the metal drain pipe that sticks out of the wall. A plumber estimated a replacement would be over $400, which is too much considering my low paying current job, so I'm trying to do it myself.

I was going to buy a new PVC pipe and use PVC primer and cement to attach it to the metal pipe. Is this ok?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't glue PVC to ANYTHING. You can solvent weld it to another piece of PVC. A connection to metal would usually have a nut and a nylon or rubber slip joint washer. The washer can easily be replaced.

Do you have a digital camera,that you could take a photo of this and post it for us?

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think what would be the best thing for you to do is pull it all apart and stuff a rag into the metal pipe in the wall. Drive to “big orange” or the “big blue” and talk to someone in plumbing.

The plastic washers are not that hard to replace but you need the right one. For the washers you’re looking at a buck or two. To replace it all it should be under 25 depending on how much you replace.

edit
i wish i would have seen the pic. but i was still typing i think

Last edited:

Molo

Reaction score
If all you end up needing is a slipnut with washer, then the plumber was expensive or you've got some other problems we haven't heard about. Did he look at the situation in person?

Molo

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
dereks said:
Under my bathroom faucet, there is a leak between the joint between the PVC P trap and the metal drain pipe that sticks out of the wall. A plumber estimated a replacement would be over $400, which is too much considering my low paying current job, so I'm trying to do it myself.

I was going to buy a new PVC pipe and use PVC primer and cement to attach it to the metal pipe. Is this ok?

I see what I think is a metal "Desanco" nut about an inch off the wall.
A plumber would likely replace the nut and Desanco washer and that might be the trouble. (IF lucky)
If the leak is on the actual metal pipe, it'll need to be cut with a hacksaw and coupled with a "no-hub" clamp to the PVC (not as "pretty"), but it'll need to repiped with schedule 40 PVC & P-trap with cleanout with an 1-1/2" by 1-1/4" desanco fitting to adapt to the tailpiece that drops from the drain.
Derek, if all else fails...get more estimates, unless there's a detail missed in your description, this is a relatively simple, in and out job.
$400 seems a bit on the high side for a simple drain repair. (unless you're in Beverly Hills)

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Loosen the nut, take out the plastic washer, go to the hardware and buy a new one. Put it back together.

I tried to post a link to an animation, didn't work. Something in the forum is blocking it...

http://images.************.com/animations/how2u/plastic2.swf

the missing letters are "do it yourself", but typed in as one word, with no spaces; for some reason, the forum software thinks that's a swear word or something. Terry?

Okay, here's a different one:

http://www.howdididoit.com/Vanity/drainSlip.jpg

The slipnut fitting on the vertical pipe has probably slipped some, as well; you'll have to loosen & re-adjust its position, to get everything to line up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks