How to clean the contact tank / precipitate tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Hcw3

Reaction score
I have a softener system with a chlorine injector, a 120gal fiberglass contact tank, a backwash carbon filter, and then the softener.
My question concerns the 120 gal contact tank.
The system has been in operation for 4-5 years now, the installer didn't provide much in the way of a cleanout (only a ½" drain line), and I've never cleaned the iron-precipitate out of the tank. I'm thinking that the sediment may have become caked in there by now, and I might have difficulty simply rinsing the tank out. Is it likely to need 'stronger measures', ie: a high-powered sprayer, or maybe a chemical solution, that will break it up?
Or should just draining the tank be enough?
Thanks for any insight.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I have a 120gal galvanized tank, with the outlet fitting about 8" above the bottom of the tank; the bottom is concave - pushed up, so there's a ditch around the bottom that fills up with iron sludge. I use a pressure washer to get it out about once/year. If your drain is at the bottom of the tank, and the tank is convex - pushed out, you should be able to drain it weekly or so and get the sludge out as part of the draining process. But the 1/2" drain line is a little skimpy.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey. I thought the ½" drain was kind of useless. The drain can support a 1" fitting, so I'm not sure why he did the small line. I'll be replacing it when I redo the rest of it around the system, moving it all over a few feet.

The pressure washer sounds like a good option, as long as it doesn't damage the fiberglass tank.

Wouldn't draining it once per week make it tough to keep the free chlorine balanced? Doesn't your free chlorine get all wacky for a time, after you do your annual draining?

I have a 120gal galvanized tank, with the outlet fitting about 8" above the bottom of the tank; the bottom is concave - pushed up, so there's a ditch around the bottom that fills up with iron sludge. I use a pressure washer to get it out about once/year. If your drain is at the bottom of the tank, and the tank is convex - pushed out, you should be able to drain it weekly or so and get the sludge out as part of the draining process. But the 1/2" drain line is a little skimpy.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Wouldn't draining it once per week make it tough to keep the free chlorine balanced? Doesn't your free chlorine get all wacky for a time, after you do your annual draining?
Well, in truth, I don't bother checking it right away, but since the chlorine pump injects immediately prior to the contact tank, I'm getting the right initial concentration in the tank, so I don't think the free chlorine residual is too far off. As long as I don't draw a lot of water right away, the contact time is adequate. I will check it the next time I clean it, though.

In your case, I doubt you'd have to drain more than a few gallons or so to get all the sludge out, if you drain it before it gets a chance to solidify in the bottom hemisphere of the tank. Watch the outflow as it's draining, and as soon as it runs clear, shut it off.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Mikey, Good point about partial draining. Thanks.

I appreciate your input. I'll have to see how hard/caked the sediment has become. Hopefully it will wash out with no problem at all!
Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks