How to clean a Toto "Ultra Max with Sana Gloss" toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

MrDoh

Reaction score
I have an Toto Ultra Max toilet, which flushes really well. However, down in the bottom of the bowl, at the outlet, there are some serious brown stains. Not minerals, I assure you *smile*, all natural.

Anyways, I have not been able to remove this build-up with brushes, and am wondering what I can use without damaging the Sana Gloss finish. Not sure why I care about the Sana Gloss finish at this point, but I do none the less.

Any suggestions of what I might use to clean the stains from this area? Very unsightly...

Thanks for suggestions!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have one that is ten years old and still shines.
I use liquid bowl cleaner and a nylon bristol brush on it. You can put the brush down in the lower part and spin it.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect_instructions.pdf

• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Several times I've had to scrape calcium out of a toilet bowl with a flat screwdriver. Most notably a few years ago when I installed a 1955 "Standard" Cadet with bad deposits.

MrDoh

Reaction score
I have one that is ten years old and still shines.
I use liquid bowl cleaner and a nylon bristol brush on it. You can put the brush down in the lower part and spin it.

Hi, thanks for replying. Sounds good, specifically, though, what kind of bowl cleaner do you use? That's what I'm trying to find out *smile*.

Thanks again.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think any liquid bowl cleaner will be fine. There are lots of brands on the market and we have use several of them with good success. We do not have Sana Gloss, but I do know that you should not use abrasive cleansers or scrapers. (No screwdrivers LOL)

Reaction score
The buildup that was in that toilet was horrible. It was all caked on and a screwdriver was my only option. It turned out fine. That 1955 Standard NEVER clogged. It was a huge improvement over the 1996 American Standard that was there before.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Dave, he doesn't have an American Standard bowl.
And it's not an old 55 either.

I have used pretty much all the liquid bowl cleaners I find at the supermarket meant for cleaning bowls.
I keep them pretty clean, no sense waiting too long.
I have seen some brands that I have a harder time keeping clean. The TOTO with CEFIONTECT has been working fine for me.

MrDoh

Reaction score
Well, thanks...I've been doing some research and the two products that I've seen that get the best recommendations are a Lysol Gel and a Chlorox Gel one. Hopefully one of those can do the job without damaging the Sana Gloss.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Plunge, sponge or vacuum most all of the water from the bowl. Pour a cup of baking soda into the bottom of the bowl. Slowly, SLOWLY, pour in a quart of white vinegar. While the mixture is still foaming and fussing, brush the entire bowl thoroughly, adding a little extra muscle to the trap/siphon jet area and under the rim. Wait 15 minutes and flush.

Khinanight

Reaction score
I have an Toto Ultra Max toilet, which flushes really well. However, down in the bottom of the bowl, at the outlet, there are some serious brown stains. Not minerals, I assure you *smile*, all natural.

Anyways, I have not been able to remove this build-up with brushes, and am wondering what I can use without damaging the Sana Gloss finish. Not sure why I care about the Sana Gloss finish at this point, but I do none the less.

Any suggestions of what I might use to clean the stains from this area? Very unsightly...

Thanks for suggestions!
Unfortunately, there is nothing wrong with your toilet...Perhaps you should change your diet? *smile*

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Thanks for suggestions!

Even though, being brown, they may resemble something natural, I really don't think that these stains are what you think they are. I have 3 Toto toilets with CEFIONTECT, and have never had any persistent staining below the water line. Above the line, that's another story.

Also, even brushing doesn't remove your brown stains. This simply has to be something other than skid marks. I don't know what (maybe rust? factory defect?) -- but am pretty sure this isn't simple human waste. Those stains brush away or flush away readily when below the water line.

Yun

Reaction score

Thanks for suggestions!
Can you post a picture of that? I may have similar thing in my toto toilet too. I bought three drake with sana gloss and one of them has brown dots under the water line. I am afraid of ruin the glaze so I tried to remove it with my fingernail but I failed. I ordered them online but did not open the box and check before the plumber installed it. He installed it last week and I have only used it for 2 days. I am not sure if the dots come with the bowl or I made it as we have quite hard water here. I would like to compare with yours so we can check whether it is a common problem for sana gloss.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks