How to choose a reasonably good quality submersible pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

gizmodiy

Reaction score
I'm hoping to pick the brains of some of the great minds I see posting to this site.

I am converting from a jet pump to a 4" 10 GPM 1/2 HP deep well submersible pump to bring lake water to a cottage. It may be 2 wire or 3 wire. I will very likely use it a self draining system for winter water purposes. That will require removing the check valve near/at the pump and installing one inside the cottage. I'm looking to choose a decent brand and model of pump and this is where I am looking for advice. Everyone is on a limited budget, especially me! I don't want to overpay, yet at the same I don't want it breaking down all the time. In my mind, Goulds is a good brand with a great reputation, but they are expensive. I heard that these days the motor is the thing that is really important. Franklin is what I hear is good name. I've also read people say as long as you have a Franklin in it, then its a good choice. I see Tuhorse are selling in Canada (where I am) is a good price, but looks like it does not use a Franklin.

So,
* what do you recommend
* what do you think of Tuhorse
* any ideas on where I can buy a decent pump at a decent price, so that it doesn't break down all the time
* what things should I look for in a deep well submersible pump

Thanks all in advance

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
They do make special drain-back systems for lake water. Removing the checkvalve would cause the pump to spin backwards which they are not designed to do. Should the pump ever try to start while is is still spinning in reverse, damage may result.

Also, in-lake installations may require that the pump be sleeved so that there is a cooling flow going past the motor.

http://www.cottagewatersupply.com/

gizmodiy

Reaction score
Thank you, LLigetfa! Yes, I have been into cottage water supplies a couple of times. A very nice guy who is very willing to explain everything. He says that there are two ways to deal with the back flow. Once is to simply drill a 1/16" hole just before the jump and that seems to work well. He says some people were concerned with the impeller running backwards and so he developed a two way diverter. I'll definitely be getting the diverter. I've also read about the sleeve that Goulds says is mandatory, as you state. Do you know if its possible to make a decent sleeve? Is it just some PVC? If so, how do I suspend it inside?

Cottage Water Supply was selling the Goulds Brusier 1/2 HP 10 GPM 2 wire for $615.00 a while back. Its likely more now. I'm trying to figure out if the Goulds is really worth it, or is there an equivalent pump of equal quality that's not selling at a higher price just for its brand name, and what do I need to look for in a pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are stock sleeves for use in a well that some folk will simply place inside a length of culvert. There are also purpose built supports that have a coarse screen but I cannot find a link to it now. Others will make up a PVC header like the following pic and use a standard well seal.

Lake_Travis_Hudson_Bend___Water_Level_Dropped_Below_Pump_Sleeve_and_Pump_Burned_up_WEB.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Thanks again. That's an interesting picture, but it looks like any debris that falls in would collect at the bottom.

I found that on a website that had a collection of how not to do things pics. I was just using it to illustrate how PVC pipe and a standard well seal can be used to sleeve a pump. In addition to a short section of PVC well casing, you can also add a length of slotted screen and a cap at the bottom.
pvc_casing_screenpipes1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks