How to choose a cistern pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by lou1, Aug 28, 2010.

1. lou1

lou1 New Member

My cistern is a 5'x5'x12' concrete space in the basement. The rainwater comes from a metal roof and passes through a screen and a first flush diverter before entering the cistern. Cold drinking/cooking water is plumbed separately to each floor.

The cistern water will feed the following
    in the basement: three sets of faucets, a toilet, two external faucets, and hot water heater,
    on the main floor: three sets of faucets, a toilet and a dishwasher,
    on the second floor: two set of faucets and a toilet.

There are three adults with varying schedules living here.

What specifications and features should I be looking for in a suitable pump?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A 1/2 HP, 10 GPM submersible in the cistern would do a good job. If you want to use a jet pump go with a 1 HP for a little extra pressure, since you have two stories.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

A 3/4 hp jet pump or a 1/2hp submersible pump. Myself, I prefer a submersible pump with a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html. It makes a simple and inexpensive installation. The Pside-Kick will prevent your pump from cycling when filling the washing machine and taking a shower, plus it will give you constant pressure like city water pressure. You may want to consider installing a Cycle Sensor (from the same web site). It will save the pump in case you run out of water in the cistern.
  4. lou1

lou1 New Member

One thought - any noise dampening possibilities in either choice?