How to Cap a Toilet Waste Pipe in Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I live in a house built on a slab, and I am converting a bathroom into a small storage room. I was wonder if some of you guys could share your thoughts on how to cap the 4” cast iron waste pipe where the toilet was. I already broke the slab around it and cut the pipe below the floor level. Unfortunately that waste pipe drops directly on top of the line running under slab, and waste from other parts of the house runs along that area of the line. Thus I cannot fill it up with dirt.

The plan is to cap the pipe about 1”-2” below the floor level and cover it with concrete. However, I would like to do it in a way that will last forever and not collapse after 15 or 20 years from now and block the line. I have been told about those Fernco caps, cast iron caps and even some of those red test plugs from Oatey. Any thoughts you guys could share with me would be great since I am just a homeowner and don't have the experience many of you have!

c_g_lima

Reaction score
Use a cast iron blind plug and a shielded no-hub coupling (not all rubber).

Thanks for the suggestion. I will most certainly go with that route based on the pictures I am looking at right now. It looks like something that will be sturdy enough to last for a long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks