How to avoid S-trap with a pedestal sink and floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmcr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a novice trying to install a pedestal sink in our bathroom which has a floor drain instead of a wall drain. The drain is on the floor about an inch away from the wall, between the two water supply lines which also come up from the floor.

I've read that S-traps are against code but it seems like the only way to connect a pedestal sink to this floor drain that's located almost directly under the sink.

I think using a P-trap with the two diameter arm length would force the sink to be very far off the wall when its designed to go flush.

Any advice on what to do?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you are going to get guys telling you to use a San-tee with an AAV on the top of it but lets be realistic. It's going to look like crap which defeats the purpose of the pedestal sink so, here's some advice from someone that normally would never say such a thing but....get yourself a nice matching metal S trap and a matching escutcheon and install a illegal trap.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So maybe the s trap pulls occasionally although its not too likely. Besides which, if he's doing a renovation and has not altered the existing plumbing, it is considered a repair and he doesn't have to change it.

jmcr

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That's interesting about not having to change it. It is a renovation and the original plumbing wasn't changed so maybe the S trap is the best option.

I finally got a picture of what it looks like:

l5c8lQB.jpg

The pedestal is in the right position for the sink to be flush with the wall. I have just the J bend of a P trap kit attached to the sink tail and a pipe(thats too short) coming out of the drain to show the distances.

Even if I cut the P trap arm to well under the 2x pipe diameter length for code it would still never fit.

Would a double offset work to push the drain back to the wall and maybe the P trap arm could fit then? Something other than a double offset?

How would you guys approach this in a way that doesn't look too crazy behind the pedestal?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't have the room for a p trap and the existing drail lines up perfect for a S trap so quit worrying and go with the S trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks