How to attach to this clay pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pghsebring, May 5, 2011.

1. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

Had a clay elbow break just as the stack was entering the floor.

I sawed up my floor, took elbow out. Went to use a rubber donut and 3" pvc - damn hub broke on next piece.

Got out hammer, grinder, etc, had to cut back another 15".

This is now what it looks like:

pghsebring.jpg

How do i attach to this? OD is 5", ID is 3.75". I don't care if i use 3" or 4" pvc from this point on. I'm not trying to hammer another donut in and break it again. Do i have to use a shielded fernco, or can i use an unshielded one? What part number, if you know off the top of your head? Or something else altogether?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  3. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

I found one of those at the local store - 4" pvc to 4" clay. Here's my question - the ID of the new PVC is 4". The ID of the old clay pipe is 3.75" or so. That means there's going to be a lip from the new to the old of about 1/8".

Do i still use the 4" pvc and shielded coupling, or do i go with an unshielded coupling and use 3" pvc, and slide it in the old pipe a couple feet too?
  4. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

Od of clay pipe is 5". Id of shielded fernco is 5 3/8". Id of unshielded fernco is 5 1/8". Which do I get?
  5. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

Gave up bought shielded 4" clay to 3" plastic. No lip will be present.