How to adjust a Water Pressure Regulator Properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

casuall002

Reaction score
Right now I have a PSI gauge hooked up and it was reading 80-82...(which is noted in this thread https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...ht-thing-Plus-additional-help-needed&p=268796 )

Anyway, I was wanting to lower it to 60-65 or so. Do I just unscrew the screw on the regulator allowing the nut to turn with it counter clockwise or do I use a wrench and keep the nut that is on it in place while unscrewing? How many turns would you guess to drop it from 80>65 ? What happens if I unscrew it too much? Can the screw come out? I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Loosen off the outer nut then turn counter clockwise about three turns then open a tap for a few seconds and close it, check your pressure. If more is needed turn as needed then check pressure until its where you want it. Tighten the nut and your done.

The screw will not come out all that will happen is you will be at the lowest setting of the PRV.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the screw comes out, no problem. If water comes out when you remove, we are back to first recommendation...replace the regulator.

You need to allow the tegulator to "settle" after making a change. Meaning crank the screw a couple of turns, then run a couple of faucets for several seconds, turn off and check the pressure again.

The fact that you are seeing >80 says either your gauge is off, or the regulator is bad. It should not let you see 82 downstream.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks