How tight/loose to hang copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
One of the first projects in the new old house that I am buying is to replace 91 year-old galvanized pipes with copper. I am not sure wat type of hanger to use to minimize noise...whether from water hammer, water flow, or thermal expansion/congtraction. Also how tight do I make the pipe in the hanger?

Thx

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hnagers will NOT prevent water hammer noise, but if too tight and the wrong kind CAN cause thermal expansion/contraction sounds. There are many different types of hangers which "snap" over or around the tubing and are then nailed/screwed to the structure.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
It won't prevent it, but if too lose it will exasperate the water hammer, no?

Is there a particular kind of hanger that you recommend or a kind to stay away from?

I have noticed that in my bathroom here that the water noise, when running, seems to be transfered to the wall where it is amplified. I hear ticking noises too when the pipes are cooling after a shower. And, the ticking noise from the water meter in the basement seems to be reverberated off the family room floor. Those types of things I want to prevent.

Thx,
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks