how tight/loose to hang copper pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Lakee911, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

One of the first projects in the new old house that I am buying is to replace 91 year-old galvanized pipes with copper. I am not sure wat type of hanger to use to minimize noise...whether from water hammer, water flow, or thermal expansion/congtraction. Also how tight do I make the pipe in the hanger?

Thx
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Hnagers will NOT prevent water hammer noise, but if too tight and the wrong kind CAN cause thermal expansion/contraction sounds. There are many different types of hangers which "snap" over or around the tubing and are then nailed/screwed to the structure.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

It won't prevent it, but if too lose it will exasperate the water hammer, no?

Is there a particular kind of hanger that you recommend or a kind to stay away from?

I have noticed that in my bathroom here that the water noise, when running, seems to be transfered to the wall where it is amplified. I hear ticking noises too when the pipes are cooling after a shower. And, the ticking noise from the water meter in the basement seems to be reverberated off the family room floor. Those types of things I want to prevent.

Thx,
    Jason