How tight do you need to tighten a compression fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dubele, Mar 3, 2013.

1. dubele

dubele New Member

Hello,

I just hooked up my toilet. It is a Brasscraft valve and I used a solid pipe to connect the toilet. I haven't done this before. I seated the solid pipe into the the valve with the ferrel until it stopped and hand tighetened. I tightened it more with a wrench until it was tight....I didn't over tighten it by putting a lot of pressure. I snugged it up good. I turned the water on and had a very slow leak. I left the water on and did many series of a little turns until the slow leak stopped. I am guessing that I turned the nut about two times until the water FINALLY stopped leaking.....I was concerned I was going to strip the threads, but didn't.

IS THIS NORMAL??...to have to tighten this much?? The guy at Home Depot said I will have to put some force on it as I am deforming the ferrel...and yes, I do think this Home Depot guy knows what he is talking about as opposed to others LOL!!! I just want another opinion.

Thanks,
    Doug
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You keep going until it seals. Hopefully, you did not use any tape on the threads, as that can cause it to leak, regardless. Sometimes, I'll put a small drop of oil on the threads before assembling the thing and this makes tightening it up a little smoother, but isn't necessary. It's a metal to metal seal...it takes some pressure to make it happen.
  3. dubele

dubele New Member

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I did. No tape and little turns until it stopped. I was just getting to the point of, "Holy $&!%.....when is this going to stop leaking!!". It seriously took about 10 times of little turns before it stopped.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF the tube is NOT straight into the connection, it will take a lot more force to stop it from leaking. WE do NOT know what 10 times of little turns means relative to complete rotations so cannot tell if you tightened it too much, too little, or just right, sort of like Goldilocks and the three bears.
  5. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

ANother key is not to let the valve rotate or slip any as you are tightening the compression nut. Have a good grip on the valve with your backup wrench.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I think they were referring to the riser compression joint, not the one on the supply pipe..