How the pros do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ive done my fair share of plumbing work but usually it is during remodels so I have easy access to open floors/walls/ceilings

The question is how do pros go about redoing piping w/o gutting a space? Is it even doable? The galvanized drains are going in my mothers bath. There are 2 full baths stacked over each other that need the 1.5" drain lines replaced. Is there some trick to doing this with minimal damage to finishes?

My thoughts are that I can do the 2nd floor bath from below with a small opening in the ceiling and just have to open back wall that houses the shower valve on the first floor and do the rest from the basement. Both drains and water lines are on exterior walls.

Both baths were retiled 10years ago or so, do I didn't want to turn them into swiss cheese. Just was curious if there were tricks?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It would be to site specific to be able to give you any real information of use. I usually just get accurate measurements and cut only where I have to, just big enough to do the job. Wherever possible I try to make a hole in sheetrock on the other side of the tiled wall as it is easier to repair.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
The drain lines are galvanized in a house built in 1912....they've past their life expectancy! They have been patched in the basement in several places, and now the leak is coming down from inside the wall when draining the tub. The tub drains are brass so I don't think that's the problem. I guess the leak could be limited to a p-trap, but just repairing that I would think is a band-aid to the real problem.

Also since the walls are plaster, cutting isn't the easiest, and the backside of the walls are the outside, covered in aluminum siding.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is inside the wall you might have a cracked or rusted out stack...It may not be the tub drain...but if it is the stack you may as well do the tub drains at the same time...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks