How should exterior-mounted supply lines be insulated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the time, the pipes are run in the wall, and the only thing you see is decorative, like with the trim cap for the shower valve or the shower arm. So, there is no big reason to make insulation look pretty.

Moby

Reaction score
True, but a product need not be necessary in every application to have sufficient reason to exist. Installing CPVC or PEX where it will be exposed to the sun will not last, yet there is no coated or insulated version readily available? I'm not the only person that has reason to run pipes on the outside of my house yet doesn't want the result to look bad and not last. Obviously the black foam is not suitable for exterior exposure and will break down within a year or two, so it cannot possibly be considered a suitable product for this purpose, but I guess even though it is difficult for me to believe, an appropriate product is not made.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about putting an outdoor shower in at home. I think I will run it in PEX just to see how well it holds up exposed to the UV. We don't get the sun here that you do in FL, so mine may last many years.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
For looks, I'll vote for copper every time. If you're not too far from the ocean, it will develop a nice green patina if exposed to the salt air. Otherwise, it will turn a dark reddish brown color over time.

Yeah, put some effort into allowing the system to drain over the winter. Remember that the riser up to the shower head will stay full of water all the time unless you provide drainage for that also. One way would be to set the valve up as if for a tub/shower install and use the tub outlet to drain the riser, perhaps with a shut-off of some sort. There are several options there.

Didn't mean to be rude earlier. The wife trying to drag me into her HGTV world while I'm trying to post. Anyway, if you drive through the country where I grew up, you'll see a lot of bare well tanks standing uncovered out in the yards of the folks who have their own well. This would be around latitude 31, Florida state line. Two hundred miles north of there, my current bailiwick, all the well tanks are in insulated well houses, where in winter the wise turn on a shop light in there with a 100w bulb close to the pressure switch, to keep things from freezing.

It snowed down there one time in 1958, and again in 1973, as I recall. This is a couple of hundred miles north of Daytona.

Moby

Reaction score
No need to apologize, I appreciate all the help and suggestions. So far no external piping here has ever frozen, but who knows what the future may bring. Draining the lines in a cold snap would surely be wise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks