How Remove Delta Shower Faucett

Users who are viewing this thread

jm1996a

Reaction score
Dear Terry & group,

I have a shower stall with single Delta faucett. I want to look behind the faucett since I have low pressure and its not the shower head ( i checked ). I removed the 2 screws holding the circular plate to the shower liner, however the faucett handle is too big to slip the liner around, so i assume the handle is designed to come off.
Turning the handle counter clockwise, obviously water flows. I am reluctant to turn it too hard clockwise if that is not how its supposed to be removed.
I don't see any other screws or ways to remove the faucett handle.

I need to remove it in order to remove the plate and look behind the faucett. You get the idea. Any suggestions appreciated.

Respectfully, JM, Wash DC

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a cap that pops off of the front of the knob (a knife blade or small screwdriver will get under the edge). Then, there is a screw underneath that.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to turn off the water to the shower before going any further.

1) Remove handle cap (button) with pen knife or tiny screw driver, unless it is a lever handle, in which case, you'll need to loosen the set screw on the underside of the handle. You'll need the correct allen wrench for this.

2) Unscrew handle and pull off.

3) Remove backer plate, if you haven't already done so.

4) Pull out metal sleeve (if there is one).

5) Unscrew large retaining nut (use channel locks)

6) Pull out plastic cam and metal (or plastic) ball assembly. /check for debris that could account for the blockage.

7) Remove/replace springs and rubber seats.

Last edited:

jm1996a

Reaction score
Wow, thank you both very much. You are correct, i was able to discover the handle cap, remove it, then unscrew and remove the handle, and the circular plate behind it. That let me see behind the shower stall. There were two copper pipes feeding the assembly, however, both nozzles were impossible to turn, even with a strong grip on a good pair of plieres, I presume this means that they were intentionally designed that way to prevent hackers like me from screwing things up. It also might mean that they are set to max pressure, which makes me wonder then why the pressure coming from the shower seems low. So, despite your directions, I was unable to proceed with steps 5, 6 and 7. Incidentally, I live in a condo and was unable to locate the main water feed, so did steps 1-4 with the water pressure remaining on. I guess I'll have to ask the condo maintenance folks to check it out for me. Hate not being able to do simple things like this myself, but i guess that's the way it is. If you have any further suggestions, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, thank you very much for your help nonetheless.

Sincerely, JM, Wash DC

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Remove the showerhead and then turn on the shower. See if you get a good flow of waterout of the pipe. If you do, take a good look at the input to the shower head. There is probably a screen. Check it for crud. Clean it if necessary. That may solve your problem. You can post a picture - when you are entering a post, scroll down to the additional options section. You have to scale the pic for fairly low res to fit. You may have in-line shutoff valves, which would make repairs easier than having to shut off the building's main valve.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I live in a condo and was unable to locate the main water feed

That's something you should know the location of, and have immediate access to, no matter where you live. This time, you had only the desire to turn off the water. Some day you may have the need...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks