How often do air-admittance valves go bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

robo_geek

Reaction score
I recently moved into a newer (1997) house which has at least six or seven air-admittance valves. There's one under the sink in the kitchen, one in the (main level) laundry room, one under the sink in the master bath, etc.

I noticed that every once in a while there are some odd smells...not so much sewer gas, but more sewage-like. I was gonna blame it on the dog, but he was not nearby.....

Do these AAVs go bad, stick, or need cleaning?

Are random smells with AAVs normal? Any better models with a charcoal filter or something? Put a sock on it?

Is there some other issue to be concerned about, such as some other blockage or flow problem to watch out for?

The house has four el-cheapo builder-grade toilets that block up very frequently, but I'm sure that's purely a function of the cheap toilets and what the young-uns put into them.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
some aav's are better than others. The mechanical ones with a spring for 5 bucks are cheap. Studor vent makes better ones. Venting throught the roof is obviously the best option. They can go bad. They should only open up on negative pressure. Otherwise, they should remain closed so you shouldn't get any sewer smell.

sure_vent_wall_box.jpg

Oatey 39017 SURE-VENT AIR ADM VALVE, 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch, White

Last edited by a moderator:

robo_geek

Reaction score
I see that I can buy Studor AAVs at one of the big-box stores. As long as mine are threaded on, I'm gonna swap them out to be safe. $22 each.

Thanks for the reply.

studor_grill.jpg

Photo added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
did I read that right, you have at least 7 AAV's in your house? Is your hose on or did it come with wheels?

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
As long as you have 1 stack though the roof you will be fine. Have install 100's of Studor vents in the past 10 years and only had 4 that were defective.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The failure rate does not seem to be too high, but you still must leave it (them) with easy access just in case. Many pro plumber absolutely oppose them, others will use them where a connection to an outside vent would be very difficult and/or expensive. Some local code prohibit them, so you need to be sure you can legally use them where you are. If you use them where there are not legal, if you ever sell your home, you will be required to install legal vents to the outside before a loan will be approved.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The failure rate does not seem to be too high, but you still must leave it (them) with easy access just in case. Many pro plumber absolutely oppose them, others will use them where a connection to an outside vent would be very difficult and/or expensive. Some local code prohibit them, so you need to be sure you can legally use them where you are. If you use them where there are not legal, if you ever sell your home, you will be required to install legal vents to the outside before a loan will be approved.

After reading 7 aav's I had to get out the trusty old duc-tape helmet and sit down for a spell.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
We have done homes with more than that here in Florida, This place has its own rules. Builders down here want limited holes in their roofs, especially the tin ones. We have a commercial project going on that has 1 3" VTR and 44 Studors. One thing with the AAR's you must have at least 1 vent thru the roof. Like I said earlier they do work well, been installing them for the last 11 years.

It appears that most of you folks are from up north and to the west so codes are totally different. I remember doing the plumbing installation at a Motel 6 in Dayton Ohio back in the winter of '85, never saw so many vent stacks in my life.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
did I read that right, you have at least 7 AAV's in your house? Is your hose on or did it come with wheels?

I used to associate AAV's with Tin hoses on wheels...
Funny thing though...
More and more new tin houses on wheels are coming with through the roof vents & more and more multi million dollar homes built by penny pinching GC's and lazy plumbers have AAV's...

I guess the people living in trailers got tired of smelling poop gas & hearing funny noises...

Go figure!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We have done homes with more than that here in Florida, This place has its own rules. Builders down here want limited holes in their roofs, especially the tin ones. We have a commercial project going on that has 1 3" VTR and 44 Studors. One thing with the AAR's you must have at least 1 vent thru the roof. Like I said earlier they do work well, been installing them for the last 11 years.

It appears that most of you folks are from up north and to the west so codes are totally different. I remember doing the plumbing installation at a Motel 6 in Dayton Ohio back in the winter of '85, never saw so many vent stacks in my life.

Yes, we consider Fla. to have a very lax code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks