how much overlap on PVC for closet flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Onycomosis

Reaction score
While installing the tile floor, the depth of the setting bed "grew" and now I am concerned about the overlap of the PVC pipe between the closet flange for the toilet and the waste pipe.

I want to make sure I have enough coverage so that the glue seals properly and does not leak.

Can any one advise what is a "safe" dimension? I have slightly over 1/2".

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will the flange set on top of the finished floor? That's where it should be. You also have to run at least 4 screws through the flange, finished floor, and into the sub floor. In my opinion if all of these thing are done, 1/2"+ lap should be enough. It is perhaps ideal for the flange to bottom out on the riser, but not absolutely necessary. I would not want much less than 1/2".

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Might want to look at different closet flanges, sometimes they have more pipe on which to connect to.

Onycomosis

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Gary - yes, the flange will sit level on the floor and screwed down to the subfloor.

King - I have searched for a "longer" closet flange, but could not find any longer than the standard +/- 3".

Thanks again

Peter

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the riser pipe is 3", be sure the flange is the type that fits over the pipe and not into it. The inside fit cuts down the diameter of the pipe too much on 3". It's OK on 4". On other possible solution is to put a coupling on the riser then the inside fit flange. Might have to trim the coupler or riser pipe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd be a little leary with only 1/2" of the pipe inserted into the socket of the flange. This is designed to be an interference fit and the cement melts the pipe and flange, you mash them together and they fuse. The glue is not a gap filler, even if it is only a few thousanths. Not sure what the plumbing inspector will think about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks