How much Mapp gas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Watson524

Reaction score
Hi there,

Going to be tackling a soldering project this weekend with supervision from a family friend who's a long time plumber (retired). I think I can handle it but since I've only soldered things that didn't much matter before, I wanted him there to make sure I'm doing it right.

Adding a ball valve and hose bib to each zone on my mom's hot water boiler return side because the way it's plumbed now I can't drain a zone individually. (Also adding PG back to the boiler -a separate thread - and changing the P/T gauge while I'm there).

So 20 solder joints in all, 5 zones, 2 fittings / zone. I have an almost full bottle of MAPP gas my dad had in the barn (I'm assuming it doesn't go bad? It's been there for a while but it lit fine). It's just the standard size bottle maybe 15" high that you'd buy. Is this enough or should I get another one? Not sure how quickly the gas goes.

thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A partially used bottle?
If you're cutting water, you may want to have an extra bottle on hand.
Maybe you have enough, and maybe you don't.

soldering_kit.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bigger the size of the pipe and the heft of the valves will take longer to heat up and solder than a simple coupling, it's safer to have enough around so you can finish before the store closes (if it's still open when you find out!).

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What size is the tank ? In OZ. or LBS.

Let me Guess........... This may take a few, please wait...............

DonL

Reaction score
Terry - not sure what you mean by "cutting water"?

3/4" fittings, 1lb/16oz tank.

Get some more tanks. Maybe 5 ?

Or get better play toys.

I like to play with my toys longer than 5 minuets.

Watson524

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice hj. My plumber friend said he'd bring his tips but I'll pick up an extra bottle of gas to be safe.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A full cylinder can handle 22 joints. Just in case it's not full, hey a new one is about $7-$8. Make sure you can run to the store to get one, if you need.

Watson524

Reaction score
Picked up a new 1lb tank today just to be sure but my friend said he's just bring his tanks with him (acetylene I think) since he has good tips and all. Wahoo! Getting to use the pro stuff!

Watson524

Reaction score
Picked up a new 1lb tank today just to be sure but my friend said he's just bring his tanks with him (acetylene I think) since he has good tips and all. Wahoo! Getting to use the pro stuff!

DonL

Reaction score

Cool. That is what I use.

Enjoy the work.

Watson524

Reaction score
Whoa! Acetylene is awesome! Job went quick and mostly ok (I need to post a separate thread about a brand new gauge that was crap) but the valves and Ts for the hose bibs went on fine. I won't say I'm the neatest solderer in the world but nothing is leaking and I didn't have too many "rabbit turds" as my plumber friend called them and frankly, I've seen plenty of other fittings look worse so all in all, a good day and I had fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks