how much 2 charge for hanging drywall?

Users who are viewing this thread

PaPainter02

Reaction score
I have a friend of the family (not really that close) who is asking me to hang drywall in a bed room of his house. He is going to supply all the materials, I have to bring all my tools, hang it and get it all ready for painting. I've done this job b4 for myself at my home but never for some1 else. What would be a reasonalbe price to charge him? The house is in Pa, I dont really know the exact size of the room (I'm going to give the estimate tomarrow) but its on the lower scale of a "fine home" so I'm asumming it will be a nice size bedroom but not a huge bedroom as in a "fine home". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know the going rate. Like most folks, I have done some drywall. Not greatly skilled at it. I don't think I would take it on for $25 a sheet, but someone who is good and works faster, it might pay. Are you working alone on this? Does the job include the ceiling?

You mentioned a home on the "finer side". They will expect perfection in the taping. Will it be textured or plastered?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
$

The smaller the room the more you have to charge per sheet. Ideally you should see the site and determine exactly how long it will take you. Once you know that, you can figure out how much you want to earn per hour and do the calculation.

PaPainter02

Reaction score
I talked to the guy last night. Now he says he just needs me to hang it. He said he is going to tape it and do all the other work. $25 sheet sounded good for doing everything. How mush should I charge to just hang it? Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
In my area a handy man gets between $15.00-$45.00 / Hr. for anything. Part of pricing a job is how much work there is...I would tell him it is $20.00 per sheet to hang or $20.00 per sheet to finish or $25.00 a sheet for hanging and finishing, If you will be happy with the $$$ reguardless of the time it takes you to do the job. It all depends on your speed and ability which I am going to guess is low since your asking how much you should charge...If the job comes out not looking the way he thinks it should he will try and knock down the price...

Personally I love doing drywall so much I would charge $200.00/sheet.

Last edited:

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the reason he wants you do do it is that he doesn't want to pay a drywall contractor the going rate. If he was willing to pay the full price, he wouldn't take a chance on somebody who installed drywall once.

I'm only saying this because I've been there. You'll have to work twice as hard as a drywaller because you don't have the right tools for half the pay.

In the end, you'll feel like you were taken advantage of and he'll be unhappy with the work.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Most (if not all) drywallers here charge by the square footage for installations. You could call a few local guys and ask if they charge by square footage or if they charge by quote pricing if you want an accurate idea of how to price the job.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
He is not your freind....

If this fellow is your freind, then when the job
is done he will not be anymore.... your freind.....

he wants you to hang drywall that he is not willing to pay
a drywall man to do correctly....

when it is all said and done, my guess is he wont be happy with the
work or will complain about the lines gaps ect and expect you to take less for the job......

Is this freind going to help you do this work or
is he going to just kick back with a beer and watch???

is the drywall going to have to be hauled into the home
or will it be already in place for you to hang??

From past experience....
hanging drywall on a ceiling by myself is something
I would not wish on a dog....

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I did all the drywall in my kitchen, it wasn't that hard, you are all a bunch of sissies, :D
I even did it wearing these cool shoes, (they helped with the ceiling)
12_3_132.gif

Last edited:

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
hanging drywall on a ceiling is easy, just rent a drywall lift. Makes it very easy to hang 5/8" fire rated drywall with one person. I've done it, and it's not bad at all.

I tend to agree with the overall thought that - this guy doesn't want to hang it himself, but doesn't want to pay a drywall guy, so he's looking to cut corners. Yet, he lives in a 'fine home'... Recipe for disaster. He won't be happy, you'll get p.o.'ed, and the small amount of money you make won't be worth it.

Cookie

Reaction score
It seems the average is 25/35 a sheet. I commend anyone who does this work, it is back breaking work.

shag_fu

Reaction score
I have a friend of the family (not really that close) who is asking me to hang drywall in a bed room of his house. He is going to supply all the materials, I have to bring all my tools, hang it and get it all ready for painting. I've done this job b4 for myself at my home but never for some1 else. What would be a reasonalbe price to charge him? The house is in Pa, I dont really know the exact size of the room (I'm going to give the estimate tomarrow) but its on the lower scale of a "fine home" so I'm asumming it will be a nice size bedroom but not a huge bedroom as in a "fine home". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So after reading this first post and the others, you are not really friends just acquaintances which helps. I would do this job for TM esp since you've only done it once for yourself. As long as he understands that you've only done it once and are in no way implying that you want to do this as a profession then I would proceed. Its really hard to bid competitively without the exp. Either you bid too low and shoot yourself in the foot, or bid too high and he says no, on second thought if you dont really want to do it then bid 200/sheet :)

tilelayher

Reaction score
i just drywalled a ceiling for a friend i hung 3 4x10 sheets and 2 4 x 8s i charged 150 and she payed for the drywall lift and spackle and tape and everything and got me lunch.

I ripped the old plaster out it was falling off, Hung the rock and taped one day, 1st coated the next day, final coated it another day and sanded it the day after that.

Now shes got it painted and shes happy,

Tips make sure you thin it, i have a drill im a tile setter i added some soap to the final 2 coats so there was no pocks and i hope you have all the knives and patience and skills needed. I had to tape all the corners of the room and i used a corner knive and it looks perfect.

I hope you know how to do it, it took my like 30-40s times to get good at drywalling well not drywalling its the taping and spackling side you need a 4 inch knife, 5 incher, 6 incher, 8 incher, 10 and 12 and corner tool, sanders and just the skills to do it. If you've only done it once i would pass on the job.

Last edited:

crater

Reaction score
maybe way late, BUT personally I hate hanging fo someone else to finish. I can "makeup" for imperfections (maybe a screw pop or smething like that) if I'm finishing my own work. If they hire a finisher seperate then guess what either it's call back time or a few problems turn into "The house is going to fall in" problem that go blown out of porportion which can damage a companys rep.
So whatever you do make sure he understands that you will not be responcible for problems after he has inspected the work and ok'd it and of course PAID you.

craigs

Reaction score
i bid between 85 cents to $1.30 per square foot taped finished. Depends on the room and how far I have to drive to the site this is in Oregon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks