how many lights in a circuit as per code

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by picapiedra, Oct 2, 2010.

1. picapiedra

picapiedra New Member

It is my intention to place 24 pot lights around

the perimeter of the house.

24 lights of 50 watts, having of total of 1200

watts.

1200 watts divided by 120 volts gives me 10 amps.

I have placed a new breaker of 15 amps. Wich lead

me to think that I will be OK.

The question that I have is: How many lights I am

allowed asper code in one circuit.

IT is 12 lights ONLY????

PLEASE REPLY..thanks
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

It would really make no sense to have a limitation on the number of luminaires on a circuit, in the absence of
    any information on the power consumed per fixture. I have never encountered such a code limitation, and doubt
    that any such exists.
  3. thassler

thassler New Member

To calculate your total fixture wattage, you need to go by the mfg's max bulb wattage for that fixture. (i.e. I you are using 50watt bulbs but the fixture is rated for using 75 watt bulbs you need to use the 75watt figure to calculate with.) That said, I always try to stay within 80% or less of the circuit rating.(appox 1440 watts for a 15amp circuit)
  4. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

As I have read on other forums about the CEC, 12 is the max.
    You need to ask someone in the code or building office where you live!