how many connections in baseboard heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
I had to redo some wiring because I found an open splice in the wall for one of my baseboard heaters. It looks like the "electrician" cut some nm cable 6 inches too short and just used an open splice to connect the extra to the baseboard.
I have abandoned that wire but I was unable to pull a new one along that wall so I instead wired it into one of the nearby baseboard heaters.

That baseboard heater now has 2 heaters connected in its junction box. Is this safe?
I have 8 conductors, and 1 ground (edit: 3 grounds but counting as 1 for space calculations) of 12/2 and the baseboard box measure 4x3x2 = 24cu.in. It would seem to be enough space but I'm not sure if this is normally done as you would normally daisy chain from the first one with only 2 wires in each.
The heater specifications don't say what is permitted.

Attachments

• downstairs baseboards3.png
    downstairs baseboards3.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 14,155
Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Each heater should have a ground wire.

Be careful playing electricity.

Last edited:

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant I'm counting 1 ground a spart of the calculations for box space. Each wire has a ground...all spliced.
Can you splice 3 wires (6 conductors) + the 2 conductors of the heater all in that junction box space? Has anyone seen examples of it done this way.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant I'm counting 1 ground a spart of the calculations for box space. Each wire has a ground...all spliced.
Can you splice 3 wires (6 conductors) + the 2 conductors of the heater all in that junction box space? Has anyone seen examples of it done this way.

The space is not a problem if it is in a Metal Box. If the proper size wires will fit.

Last edited:

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
The space is not a problem if it is in a Metal Box. If the proper size wires will fit.

The Wire size is.

#12 will not fly for what you want to do, If I understand your plan.

I learn slow.

3 heaters: 3250W total
3250/240V = 13.5 A
That should be fine for 12/2?
The heater is metal/steel junction box.

DonL

Reaction score
Where is jw when you need him ? May be a Pro will pop in.

I would not do that, and do not want another heater in the attic.

A spare T-Stat may be good to have on hand.

A Engineer overrates things for a reason. Length of wire does mater.

If you have 240V at the end of your run using #12 you should call Ripple's

I like PIE.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
12g wire, assuming it has the proper temperature rating on the insulation, should be fine for that circuit. Double-check this, but three 12g 12-2 is 6 insulated conductors, and three ground wires. 6*2.25 +1.5*2.25, should work out okay for your box on max fill.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the #12 wire - that is correct for this circuit.
It's more the number of conductors in the heater junction box but it seems fine. It's no different than connecting them all in parallel elsewhere.

DonL

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the #12 wire - that is correct for this circuit.
It's more the number of conductors in the heater junction box but it seems fine. It's no different than connecting them all in parallel elsewhere.

Like Jim was saying, You should be OK.

What kind of splice will you be using ?

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Either a big wire nut or one of those new 'Ideal' push in connectors.

DonL

Reaction score
It's just like any normal splice.

I agree, well really better if in a Metal Box.

But the splice needs to be done properly. That many wires in one splice may not be safe for you.

I guess I may be the only one that solders, now a days.

A crimp is better than any Quick Connect Splice. Crimp and solder is More Better.

Be Safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks