How many bends can you put in a sewer drain?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by clifforddog1, Feb 21, 2007.

1. clifforddog1

clifforddog1 New Member

Hello all,

I'm put a new waste/main drain in the basement, got the concrete out fine, due to circumstances with the house (an old one) we have to put a couple 22.5 degree elbows and 45 degree elbows pretty close to each other, kind of like an 'S'.

Any problems with this? There's pretty good slope especially where the 'S' is located....

Thanks,
    John
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Without actually seeing it, we have no idea whether you made a good drain, or one which will be subject to continual problems.
  3. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

As long as you don't create an s-trap and you keep a down hill slope you can put in all the bends you want. Code will require clean outs after a certain number of bends in a certain length of pipe.... I'd have to check my books to get the specifics on that, but a few bends are pretty much expected in most re-do's. I'd avoid making something that looks like a kid building hamster tunnels......