How Many 2-Pin Base Configurations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
I have learned the hard way that there are at least two incompatible 2-pin CFL base configurations for use in 9 Watt fixtures. Are there even more?

I have a set of 9 Watt, 2-pin garage/driveway lights. I was frustrated to learn that all 9 Watt, 2-pin bulbs are not equal. I am tempted to replace the fixtures with some that accept screw-in CFLs. I'm certain that someone in engineering and/or marketing in the lamp and fixture business could offer a plausible sounding explanation for the proliferation of 2-pin sockets. I can understand there being different sockets for different wattage fixtures, so that an unwitting user could not overload the ballast in a fixture. More than one configuration for a given wattage is dumb. In the end it will doom the 2-pin configuration altogether. Think where we would be if every lamp maker and/or bulb maker insisted on a slightly different diameter or screw pitch for screw-in light bulbs!

baumgrenze

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks