How long do these shutoff valves last?

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
The house was built in 1971. I've ripped some of the drywall off of the wall. There aren't any leaks with the valves. The only problem is that the handles deteriorated and broke off. Since I have the drywall off, should I go ahead and replace the valves or just the handles (if possible) for now? Are these pretty easy to rebuild if they start leaking down the road?

shutoff-broken-01.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a lot easier to install the dry wall if you cut the valve off. So I would cut it off and replace it after the Sheetrock has been finished. There are good compression angle stops that are easy to add if there is enough pipe sticking out, so cut close to the existing valve.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll take a shot at it. Looks like a sweat angle stop with a partially destroyed handle, with a compression tee attached?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1971 valves are now...let's see, 45 years old. Most valves don't last that long.
Replace it. From the picture I can't tell what kind of valve it is, but replacing it with the same kind, would be the easiest.

Flapper

Reaction score
I'm sure it is a globe type valve (that uses a plunger that plugs the hole), just not sure what style, but it's probably a stop valve or the old equivalent to the modern stop valves:
0W91HOG.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of us replace shutoff valves for sinks and toilets with 1/4". Valves for these fixtures should be either fully on or fully off, so no need ones that requires lots of turning. The come in compression and sweat connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks