How does this P-trap come apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

jwilson

Reaction score
Is there a stub under the flared piece that the trap is soldered to?

I will be putting in a new pedestal sink, so I want to replace all the way up to the wall.

Of course, I'm hoping not to open the wall.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
What is that? Cast Iron?

Screw off or cut off that p-trap, and you'll be able to see inside that flared piece.

But regardless of what you discover, trying to unscrew the flared piece might end up unscrewing what is it in the wall. So grab a grinder, and try to cut perpendicular to the threads carefully, such that you barely kiss the threads of the "stub", but deep enough to pry open the diameter of the flare. But if that is also seized (age and rust does weird things), you're opening up that wall.

Why are you so afraid of opening up drywall? It's so cheap and easy to work with. And since it'll be under the sink, you can just cover what you removed with plywood. That's no different than access panels on the other side of shower fixtures.
iphone-20120822225554-1.jpg

jwilson

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it's made of.

I don't want to open it because I'm lazy - not because of fear. I opened that wall when I relocated a window to above the sink for a renovation a few years ago. The wall is actually a plaster top coat, on 1/2" cement, on heavy mesh lathe. It looks like they built it to tile the bottom 3 feet and decided to plaster the whole thing. That is how I know it's galvanized, I had to re-route the vent pipe.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like chrome plated cast brass. If there were flats at the end of the j-bend I would say it screwed together but with no flats the j-bend may be soldered to the trap arm. It could be either way. The trap arm is probably screwed onto a nipple. I would take the tailpiece out and see if it I could spin it around.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a one piece cast brass "P" trap, and the only way to remove it, other than cutting the pipe, is to remove the sink so the tailpipe comes out of the trap, then unscrew the trap from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks