How does the layman drill a 2" hole in concrete block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Subject says it all ... how does the layman (me) drill a 2-1/2" diameter hole through an 8" hollow concrete block wall?

Would a carbide tip hole saw on an extension do the job? Center bit won't be masonary bit.... :(

Thanks,
Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you only needed to do a couple, a concrete block wall shold be able to be drilled with a carbide holesaw. Note, if you hit a rib, it would be a big pain whatever you used. The centerhole bit can probably be found with a carbide tip, or, just drill the hole with one, then, the bit is just a guide. In fact, you could just use the shaft and not dull it at all. Once the hole saw is started, you don't need the center bit but you need to be careful. Diamond core bits often do not have a center bit, and it is an aquired skill to start them and get the hole where you want without it walking all over the place (this would probably work with the hole saw as well). Basically, you start with the drill at about a 45-degree angle so only a little edge is cutting, once it makes a decent divot, you slowly pivot the drill so it is perpendicular to the wall and finish the hole.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

IF the hole is not on a web and the wall is not grouted, a swift blow with a hammer in the center of the hole, and then tapping around the edges will give you the hole you need.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Excellent advice! Thanks. I'll let ya all know how it goes in week or so when I do it. :)

Edit: Those guys on the e-homo****** site that Ian mentioned are going to set me back at least $30 or so for a one-time use. :( So, I'm going to just drill a series of small holes and then tap it out with a hammer. I'll be mounting a 2" LB against the hole, so that will cover most of the "handy work."

The backside is a semi-inaccessible crawl space so I'll probably just use a cold chisel and bust out a chuck.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It's EGay.

Funny you should say that.

I only just noticed your new signature...

If you're going to quote that song, shouldn't your avatar be this guy?

arty-man-415x390.jpg

:p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks