How does piping run from meter to house?

Users who are viewing this thread

jskd82

Reaction score
How do you run the piping from the meter to the house? Do you run the pipe from the meter directly to the water heater and then to each fixture wit tow lines coming out of the heater one for cold water and one for hot water.... Or do you run the line from the meter to each fixture and then to the water heater? Sorry if you can't understand what I am trying to ask but that is the best way hat I could think of saying it lol. Also how much copper pipe would I need to re-pipe a 1242 sq ft house? the meter is about 30 yds from the house the house has two full baths, kitchen sink, tankless heater, and laundry. I should also say that the configuration of both shower heads are back-to-back so i think it may be using one pipe to run the two showers.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have the water heater at the end of the supply line to take advantage of the ambient temperature in the house for adding a little warmth to what goes into it. But depending upon pipe sizes and the overall layout, I can understand why some folks might want it plumbed ahead of other fixtures to help keep a flushed toilet from robbing any of its supply.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
All codes call for the water lines to be sized properly by fixture demand. The other way is to run a manifold type.

TMB9862

Reaction score
How do you run the piping from the meter to the house? Do you run the pipe from the meter directly to the water heater and then to each fixture wit tow lines coming out of the heater one for cold water and one for hot water.... Or do you run the line from the meter to each fixture and then to the water heater? Sorry if you can't understand what I am trying to ask but that is the best way hat I could think of saying it lol. Also how much copper pipe would I need to re-pipe a 1242 sq ft house? the meter is about 30 yds from the house the house has two full baths, kitchen sink, tankless heater, and laundry. I should also say that the configuration of both shower heads are back-to-back so i think it may be using one pipe to run the two showers.

The water heater can be plumbed in anywhere so long as you are using the correct pipe size. Spend a little while in your basement following the lines, where it comes in, where it runs, where it tees, where they change sizes, etc. You'll learn a bit just doing that.
I couldn't even being to guess how much pipe you would need to replumb your house. It depends on where the fixtures are, where your heater is, how many stories, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks