How do you remove the cover on a PVC toilet flange?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by diecastdawg, Nov 2, 2010.

1. diecastdawg

diecastdawg New Member

How do you remove the temporary cover on a PVC toilet flange? Mine has a tab on top, but when I try to twist it off, it won't budge. Thanks.
  2. 3m

3m New Member

The tab is to hold onto it while you smack it with a hammer to keep it from dropping into the drain. I usually take a flat screwdriver and start it breaking then lightly tap it with a hammer all the way around
  3. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Those test plates are still fused pretty good to the toilet flange, so you will need a few hard hits with a hammer to bash it free. Once you bash a hole into it, you can usually rip the rest off with a pair of pliers to be on the safe side; you have to be careful that you don't accidentally hit the flange portion with the hammer and crack it!