How do we replace 5'0 bathtub with minimum damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bojohn

Reaction score
Help! We just installed a new therapy bathtub that's defective, and it needs to be replaced. We want minimum damage done to the rest of room, but the stud walls are 5'0 and so is the tub, so off come some of the walls again. Any input on how to minimize the collateral damage around the tiled walls, etc. would be appreciated. Here's a picture of what we're dealing with. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• DSCN9428.JPG
    DSCN9428.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN9429.JPG
    DSCN9429.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 263

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take out the toilet and lav. Remove the bottom row of tile. Remove sheetrock as necessary.Disconnect the tub drain and oogie the tub out until you can roll it up on edge and work it out the door.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to remove the bottom row of tile on the rear. Remove tile on both ends up to the point where it is higher than the tubs "diagonal" dimension on the end. Roll the tub up onto its apron. Twist it so one end goes between the studs and then rotate the tub out into the room and out the door. This is how I have been installing/removing tubs for over 65 years, (most times unaided).

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to remove the bottom row of tile on the rear. Remove tile on both ends up to the point where it is higher than the tubs "diagonal" dimension on the end. Roll the tub up onto its apron. Twist it so one end goes between the studs and then rotate the tub out into the room and out the door. This is how I have been installing/removing tubs for over 65 years, (most times unaided).
Sixty-five years ago I was ten months old. What brand are you drinking?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the tub has to kept intact, then as everyone above suggest it has to be done that way. The tub looks like it is made of acrylic and if it does not have to be saved, a sawzall will work wonders but you'll still need to remove the bottom row of tiles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks