How do I unthread pipe from a fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by awardmont, Apr 27, 2010.

1. awardmont

awardmont New Member

Hello all , new to forum, I cant seperate ( unscrew) a 1/2" galvanized water pipe from its 90 connection, any tips? i have a seyt or ridgid manual threaders, but prefer not to use it.
    Thanks mike,
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You need two pipe wrenches. One to turn the pipe, the other to provide counter pressure on the elbow. If the joint is too tight, you risk the possibility of egg shaping the elbow, and if you do, then you will have to remove the elbow and replace it. PB Blaster might help. Apply it, let it set for awhile before applying pressure.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I sometimes throw a little heat on the fitting, not the pipe.
  4. asktom

asktom Member

A shot of rust buster, WD-40, or magic snake oil of your choice, tap the fitting many, many, many times with a hammer, heat per Terry (optional), two wrenches with pipe slid over them for cheaters, throw in a blast of your best French adjectives and pull steady while praying.
  5. asktom

asktom Member

Oops, mis-read 1/2" to be 1 1/2". Cheaters optional, English adjectives will suffice.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

FYI: WD-49 is great stuff for many things, but it is not a very good penetrating oil. PB Blaster has become a favorite although there are other good products that will work pretty well, too.
  7. ilya

ilya In the Trades

Gary's right-wd40 is no good as a penetrating oil. PB Blaster is very good, and kroil is even better. Heat the fitting as Terry said, and as it expands it tends to break up the rust. Cool it off some so the oil won't cook, and oil it up. Go to lunch. Oil it again. Call your girl and flirt, but not so much that you have to leave the jobsite-you should've handled that at lunchtime.Dont heat after oiling-you'll just burn the oil. 2 14" pipe wrenches should do it.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010