How do I tell if the Soil Pipe is Cast Iron or Steel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Laxmidi

Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom in my home, which was built in 1967. Is this pipe cast iron or is it steel? How do you tell?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry, there are many buildings in NYC where they did use galvanized piping for waste, vents and leader lines.

I have worked on schedule 40 galvanized up 12" diameter and we used chain tongs to make up the pipe into the fittings as the largest pipe wrenches I used was 60" and it was tough holding two of them one to hold back and one to make up

Most of my Manhattan accounts where I replaced roof drains either were lead pipe (6" was the largest lead pipe I ever worked on ) or galvanized leader lines usually 8" or less

Reasoning was using cast Iron (hub) on the horizontal required a lot move clevis hangers and the caulked joints had a tendency to leak after a few decades also cast could start to have bellies by the joints

Also NYC being a pro union city at one time the use of 10 foot long cast iron was frowned upon so XHCI came in 5 foot lengths but one can order up to 21 feet in galvanized which made installation much faster.

Remembering labor cost a lot more then materials in most cases

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the info Sylvan. I've only been to Manhatten for a weekend.
I did some 12" cast for a parking garage underground, and some 8" cast lines in ten foot lengths overhead. They were heavy, I remember that.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Always interesting to me to read Sylvan's posts. The work he's done in the big city is far outside my experience. Might as well be on another planet from residential work in the Deep South.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks