How do I shop for water softner?

Users who are viewing this thread

polocash

Reaction score
House: 1600 sq. ft. 2 bath dishwasher, washer, 40 gallon water heater,
People: 2 adults and child. See

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=04238846000

thought this might be OK. Would like to stay under $500 though.

Rick

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
autotrol water conditioner

these metered on demand units are pretty good ....

Stay away from the little ones get at least a 45,000 grain on demand unit

always go with a big one,
the bigger you get ,
the less times it has to regenerate during the month.,
the less water you have to use to regenerate,
the less salt it uses overall

the autotrol is very easy to work on and is very easy to get parts for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They way to evaluate your requirements , you need to know your hardness number. Available from your water department. Here in San Diego, it is 14 grains per gallon. SO, your Kenmore unit would soften 3000 gallons of water per cycle. Just picking a random usage like 100 gallons per day per person, you use 300 gallons per day; you would go 10 days between regenerations. That is a good figure. This looks like a good unit for you.

If your hardness was much higher, or your usage was higher, the statistics would change.

Similar units are available at al the "big" stores. Prices are in that ballpark. Installation cost could be all over the map.

As discussed by MP mark, you always want to choose demand regeneration. I would stay away from the so-called compact units because no matter how you slice it, they have to regenerate more often which costs you $$$.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 different Sears softeners in 2 different houses. They work well and parts are available through Sears. Just be aware that every 2-4 years you may need to do some work on the unit (replace seals and the "rotor disc"). If you're at all handy you can do it yourself for $40. If not, it may cost $200 or more to have someone come out and do it for you.

polocash

Reaction score
I live in San Antonio and here our water ranges between 15 and 17 in hardness.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I suggest you do a search for "softener sizing chart" and learn how to correctly size a softener. There are two parts and the capacity is the least important part.

I also suggest you buy a softener with the best quality control valve. IMO that is a Clack WS-1 or Fleck 7000SE. The Clack WS-1 is the best for a DIYer that would replace a part if needed. The parts are the lowest price of all major brands and can be replaced in roughy 15 minutes by the most inexperienced DIYer.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks