How do I seal this joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

JayL

Reaction score
Hi, I inherited a leaky joint running from the disposal and I'm not sure how to seal it correctly.

In the attached pic (taken after I disconnected and put back just for the pic), the black pipe is the un-threaded (ABS?) tailpipe running from the disposal to the white PVC. The previous "fix" appears to have been putty, but it wasn't successful and I've read it's not good for plastic anyway.

It seems that one would usually use a slip-joint nut and washer, but as you can see, the PVC portion has what looks like its own built-in nut, which leaves me at a loss for what to do.

Can anyone suggest a course of action? I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The trap adapter should be clean of any paste or putty. Sometimes the seal is part of the nut, while others use a separate slip joint washer. Make sure the joint is clean. There comes a time when it it may be easier to change the nut or cut off the trap adapter and start over.

JayL

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, cacher. Please forgive my ignorance, but how does a trap adapter nut create a seal? I thought I would need something threaded on the other end, but this video suggests otherwise.

And when you say I may have to cut off the trap adapter, is that because you assume it's glued?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either the nut will have a wedge shaped edge that will create the seal, or there will be a gasket as shown in the picture (it's the white rings)...
trap.jpg

Attachments

• trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
Sometimes slip joints become loose over time from vibration, or having hit it with sundries storage, and the plastic compression ring can deform over time. Previous DIY's will make the mistake and cover it with all sorts of adhesive, silicone, roof caulking, whatever.

The black part you're going to replace with a new piece.

The white part you may get away with just replacing the plastic compression ring. Do your best to clean off the white pvc of any adhesive from the past.

Worst case scenario, you're going to chop the nut assembly off the white pvc, keeping as much pipe as you can, and glue another one.

Reaction score
Actually can you zoom out a bit and get another pic? I think the white pvc is actually a tailpiece extender before a trap, in which case, you can replace with whole thing without tools without glue.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
It is hard to judge distance from a picture but it looks like the elbow out of the disposal just barely fits inside the adapter. That is probably why it leaks. In the video above, notice that she uses a tail pipe extension to reach the trap and the elbow out of the disposal is well inside of the compression adapter. Suggest you get a tail pipe extension and another compression adapter. Note that there is a difference in a compression adapter and simple threaded adapter. The tail pipe extension will not fit inside the regular threaded adapter. It will fit inside the compression adapter. The compression adapter should come with its own nut and two nylon washers, one for 1 1/2 pipe and one for 1 1/4 pipe.
Disconnect what you have now. Twist the disposal slightly to one side. Reinstall the elbow to the disposal. Slide the tail pipe extension well up on to the elbow out of the disposal. Cut the pipe out of the trap such that the tail pipe extension fits well inside the pipe out of the trap. Glue on your compression adapter. It will probably be necessary to also cut the tail pipe extension. Put the extension in the compression adapter. Swing disposal back in to place and slide the extension up onto the elbow out of the disposal. Tighten both nuts hand tight plus 1/2 to 1 turn.

You will need tail pipe extension, compression adapter, glue and primer, something to cut the pipe with. Be careful with the purple primer. It runs like water. Only need a little bit in the swab. You don't want your work to look like crap. You can get a clear primer instead of the regular purple primer if you would like.

tail pipe extention.jpg
compression adapter.jpg

Last edited:

JayL

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks very much for the replies.

Here's a pic from farther back. I replaced the nut a few hours ago and added a beveled washer, but it does look like I'll need an extender.

I'll absorb your posts some more and check back in tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 222

JayL

Reaction score
So far so good, no more leaks. I was missing the tailpiece extension and the aforementioned washer. I did have to cut both the extension and the black elbow. Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 151

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, that type of connection, unless the nut has the seal built it, WILL leak without the compression washer. ANd, it must be installed with the bevel the correct way to work as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks