how do I save the sink -- siliconed to laminate

Users who are viewing this thread

abbazabba1944

Reaction score
Howdy, we had laminate counters installed (bad decision) wife now wants it gone and I agree it looked like something the dog threw up. Fake granite.
OK we had a double sink (deep and kinda heavy) of silgranite like material. Brand escapes me.
Plumber siliconed the rim to the top of the countertop. Now we are going to change countertops. I kinda assume thet the sink will be cut outof the laminate and removed that way. question is:
can the silicone/ countertop remnant be removed and sink reused? Is it a common thing that happens and there is a remedy for? I am looking at new sinks just in case. I am thinking maybe to install the sink undermount this time under the solid surface .( It is a optional mount sink) Can a plumber install with oversize clips underneath ?? maybe?
thanks. retiredtoolate

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to get it off the counter. A sharp knife or a steel wire tied around dowels for handles may slice through without damage. Whether it would work as an undermount would depend on the shape of the rim.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many drop in sinks will not be suitable as a drop in....the top is not level all the way around, and the loss of clearance behind the faucet holes will be a problem.

abbazabba1944

Reaction score
Thanks to all for input. It finally dawned on me that the deep sink would be even deeper
if undermounted--(too deep) so I will try to salvage to use as drop-in re-installation.
These good ideas/methods born from experience are much appreciated.
retiredtoolate

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks