how do I save the sink -- siliconed to laminate

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by abbazabba1944, Jun 6, 2010.

1. abbazabba1944

abbazabba1944 New Member

Howdy, we had laminate counters installed (bad decision) wife now wants it gone and I agree it looked like something the dog threw up. Fake granite.
    OK we had a double sink (deep and kinda heavy) of silgranite like material. Brand escapes me.
    Plumber siliconed the rim to the top of the countertop. Now we are going to change countertops. I kinda assume thet the sink will be cut outof the laminate and removed that way. question is:
    can the silicone/ countertop remnant be removed and sink reused? Is it a common thing that happens and there is a remedy for? I am looking at new sinks just in case. I am thinking maybe to install the sink undermount this time under the solid surface .( It is a optional mount sink) Can a plumber install with oversize clips underneath ?? maybe?
    thanks. retiredtoolate
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You should be able to get it off the counter. A sharp knife or a steel wire tied around dowels for handles may slice through without damage. Whether it would work as an undermount would depend on the shape of the rim.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Many drop in sinks will not be suitable as a drop in....the top is not level all the way around, and the loss of clearance behind the faucet holes will be a problem.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I use a sharp knife. I heat the blade with my torch, and use the knife to "melt" through the caulking.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Guitar string!
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What if they only play a flute?
  7. abbazabba1944

abbazabba1944 New Member

Thanks to all for input. It finally dawned on me that the deep sink would be even deeper
    if undermounted--(too deep) so I will try to salvage to use as drop-in re-installation.
    These good ideas/methods born from experience are much appreciated.
    retiredtoolate