How do I remove this shower valve? Pic inside...

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
41 years?
It was time anyway to replace the valve.

The new ones are pressure balanced.

Here in Seattle, we use a lot of Moen.
The water is good here, so we don't have the lime that others have.

Delta is good here too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Once I get the internal stem removed, it usually only takes a few seconds to remove the outer sleeve. But that is why I have more than one extractor to do it, so I can choose the right one to try first. If that doesn't work then it takes a few minutes more to get and use one of the others. The only ones I have ever had to change were those where the customer either used a hammer and chisel or tried to drill it out.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Once I get the internal stem removed, it usually only takes a few seconds to remove the outer sleeve. But that is why I have more than one extractor to do it, so I can choose the right one to try first. If that doesn't work then it takes a few minutes more to get and use one of the others. The only ones I have ever had to change were those where the customer either used a hammer and chisel or tried to drill it out.

Same here HJ, only ones I ever had to replace where the ones mutilated by a drill. I seem to get them types of calls around 11 pm. AS for installing a new Moen, I carry Moen faucets and am proud to sell them. I never had a single complaint on a Moen I sell. Only complaints I heard about Moen's are the Hardware store models.

hollister

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread.
My niece woke me at 4:00 am (she had to be at work at starbucks at5:00) to tell me that the shower would not shut off.
After a bunch of googleing I found this thread and it really helped.
The plastic tool was a joke so I made a steel copy in my machine shop and that just bent the brass ears on the cartridge.
So I tried sewerratz suggestion of the dowel and 1/2 inch tap and it worked just right and everything is tight and works as should and I feel so dang manly having done-it-myself.

Thanks guys.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

Just so you know. The puller may just remove the inside "movable" stem, and leave you with the task of removing the outer shell. THAT is where experience, and OTHER pullers come in. I have 4 different ones, and sometimes removing the stem takes two or more of them depending on the situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks