How do I remove this shower valve? Pic inside...

Users who are viewing this thread

stickercut

Reaction score
No luck. They said they haven't seen them in stock for years.

The plastic tool bent the little copper tabs, so now it's really stuck.

I've locked a pair of vice grips onto it, and put a foot against the wall and pulled...no luck either...

Any other options? Are you sure there is only one horseshoe clip, and nothing else holding this thing in? Wow, it's really really stuck and isn't moving an inch!! Crap.....

I've also sprayed some PB blaster in there and let it sit..we'll see.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
No luck. They said they haven't seen them in stock for years.

The plastic tool bent the little copper tabs, so now it's really stuck.

I've locked a pair of vice grips onto it, and put a foot against the wall and pulled...no luck either...

Any other options? Are you sure there is only one horseshoe clip, and nothing else holding this thing in? Wow, it's really really stuck and isn't moving an inch!! Crap.....

I've also sprayed some PB blaster in there and let it sit..we'll see.

Nothing else is holding it in other than some corrosion and minerals. Moen some times tell people to use white vinegar to help dissolve any calcium and mineral build up.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Had one once where I had to use a small pipe wrench on the puller in order to
get it to turn,the brass cartridges can be a PIA to get out.You have to be
careful if you apply to much twisting pressure you risk twisting the whole
faucet could cause a real mess.I did get it out though and the owner was happy

stickercut

Reaction score
I assume I'm going to have to call a plumber.

Chair in the tub. 2 feet on the wall. Vice grips. Pulling on this thing and it won't budge. At all.

It simply will not come out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

When the cartridges get that old, a single puller may not remove it. The regular puller will probably extract the moving stem, but then you have to remove the shell that it slides in. For that, I have four different extractors because I never know which one, or ones, will be needed.

stickercut

Reaction score
Does anyone else have any other ideas on getting this thing out?

A 1 hour max project has turned into an all day event...pretty cool how that happens!

stickercut

Reaction score
I can't even get it to that point, so theres no use in it....

Everything I've tried, has failed...even tried putting a screw in the screw holding and making a vice basically to pull it outwards...nothing.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I read the title of the post first and said to myself " think I'll scroll down real slow and read the text before I see the picture, I'll bet a hundred bucks its a GD Moen again" Sure enough I was rewarded for my patients.

Moen Strikes Again!:D

stickercut

Reaction score
Sooooooooooo, any options? I'm stuck. No water now to my house.

The horseshoe clip won't go back in....

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Time to call a 24/7 plumber,but you did move it all i can say is try to get it back to the original position,if that can not be done,then call a plumber.
We tried to help but can`t get my body through these wires.
Mabey time to replace it.
BTW could hear you cussing through the wires.);

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually use a tool made by Pasco. # 7040...

http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf

pasco-7040.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

stickercut

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your guys help. I had to call a plumber. He came with one of the moen (cartridge removal) metal tool, it took the core out and left the rest of the valve in there. The outside was fused to the body of the valve. He said he hadn't seen one stuck this bad in 41 years. I knew I wasn't crazy that this thing was really really stuck.

The result, he had to cut an access panel behind the shower into the wall, which luckily a closet is. He cut out the old valve and installed a new moen valve, and installed the new shower parts because the old ones were pretty dated too. Total damage: $319 + new shower assembly and access panel, so around $420 to fix a "$16 part". It took them 3 or so hours to do.

I appreciate all of your guys help, but man, this one was ridiculous, and for a do it yourself plumber, a tad disappointing that I couldn't do this one on my own, considering it was to be an easy job.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
thank you for letting us know how it turned out sorry that you had to go
through all that,but now you are up dated.
Clay

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Might I be so bold as to ask why you replaced one POS valve with another POS valve from the same manufacturer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks