How Do I Puill This Pitless Adaptor?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dox, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dox

dox New Member

How Do I Pull This Pitless Adapter?

Can anyone identify the pitless adapter pictured and advise on how to pull this?

Pitless1.jpg

Pitless2.jpg

We've attached a pull bar to the 1" threaded hole (about 6' below grade) and can't budge this thing up or down or any direction. If there is a trick to reinstalling please let me know as well.
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it just rusted over the flange. No trick to that kind, just going to need to pull harder.
  3. dox

dox New Member

Thanks for your help ValveMan.

So you think the well casing has rusted and swelled until it covers the pitless flange? That seems like a lot of swelling to me.

After taking these pictures I attached a shop vac to the pull pipe and vacuumed up the rust near where the flange should be. I still couldn't see anything resembling a flange down there. Should I use the same "shop vac approach" to try and chip away the rusted casing above the flange?

I was thinking of digging and replacing the pitless adapter. With the casing this bad is this a good idea?

More info: well is 36 years old; pump replaced 23 years ago; pump still running (only 3-4gpm for 5 minutes, after that only 50psi max, 25' to water, 75' to pump)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  4. dox

dox New Member

Anyone?

Please?

I've chipped away some rust above this and still don't see a flange.
  5. valveman

I can see it. All you can do is pull.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If you are using a t bar, slip a length of larger pipe over it before you screw in into the pitless and then use it as a slide hammer to pound upward towards the top of the t. This will usually break it loose. Make sure you have it secured with some tension to your tripod so it doesn't fall down the well when it comes loose.
  7. dox

dox New Member

Thanks for the advice ValveMan and Cacher_Chick,
    I plan to get back to the well this weekend. Now my concern is this...

If I get the pitless adapter removed (through various chipping, slide hammering and finagling efforts) will I be able to reinstall it after replacing the pump, pipe and wiring? Or will this area of the well casing be so messed up that I won't be able to fit the male flange back over the female adapter?
  8. valveman

Your gonna need a new o-ring. But if the pitless slides out, it will probably slide back in.