How Do I Measure Rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

nmchugh6

Reaction score
How do I measure my existing one so that I know new models to consider?

drake_spec_gif.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
That is the measurement from the back wall to the center of the drain.
It's pretty close if you measure to the bolt caps that hold the bowl down.
The normal rough-in is 12"

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The previous replies are correct, but I'd add a tad more information. You can also measure from the finished wall to the center of the drain. It's the same as measuring to the bolts. Another point you might want to know about is that the actual space required to fit will often vary from toilet to toilet, even within the same brand. Fortunately, none that I have ever heard of use more than the rough-in distance they are rated at, but some take less. So, if your measurement shows say 11", it is likely that many toilets rated as 12" will fit. I have a Toto Dartmouth that supposedly needs a 12" rough-in, but my flange is exactly 12" and the Dartmouth tank is almost 2" from the wall!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks