How do I maintain a well system in a house I purchased?

Users who are viewing this thread

Didds

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a new home that has an existing well and water treatment system. The entire system is appox. 11 years old. I am looking for some guidance on how to maintain my well system to prevent issues and have good water.

What should I be doing to test my water periodically?

How do I maintain the carbon filter which was installed in 2014?

Is there any maintenance on the contact tank?

There are 2 injection tanks. 1 is vinegar (which the previous owner said to leave it disconnected, possibly due to adding the carbon filter in 2014?) the other tank is clorox diluted with water.

- one thing that just started happening yesterday is that the clorox tank seems to be increasing in level. Not sure if I have bad check valve or something else? seems to be back-flowing.

Any help would be appreciated! I'd like to know how to take care of my own system.

20170221_172459.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170221_172459.jpg

20170221_172505.jpg
20170221_172459.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The only maintenance you can do on the pump system is to check the air charge in that Well Mate tank occasionally. The air charge should be 2-5 PSI less than the start pressure of the pump. Ie; 40/60 switch, 38 PSI air in the tank. The pump has to be off and the tank drained of water before you can check the air charge.

But the thing that causes air loss and the bladder in the tank to tear is the pump cycling on and off. If you have any irrigation or long term use of water the pump needs to run continuously without cycling on/off.

Didds

Reaction score
Any idea why the clorox tank level would be increasing?

I recently added some water and clorox to the tank the other day. The level was around the 10 gallon mark. I was in the basement the other night and noticed that the tank was full and dripping on the floor. So I drained about 5 gallons out of the tank, but i'm noticing the level is still rising. I called the water company that installed the system but haven't heard back.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I drained about 5 gallons out of the tank, but i'm noticing the level is still rising.
I would think that is a failure in the Stenner pump. You have another one there going unused, however I don't know how to set the pumping rate if they are different. Click Inbox above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks