How do I install Grohe faceplate in shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spotfin

Reaction score
I bought a Grohe Chiara 19 184 thermostatic control/volume valve for my shower remodel. I can't figure out how to get the faceplate on. There is a mounting bracket that screws into the thermostatic valve and sits flush onto the tile. The faceplate then snaps onto these two round blue pieces of plastic that protrude from the mounting bracket about 3/8 inches. They each have a black round O ring which are supposed to snap into these plastic holes in the faceplate. The problem is that no matter how hard I push on the faceplate, or hammer them, it won't snap onto the blue plastic pieces w/ the rubber O rings. Does any one have any experience with this? Thanks.

Unfortunately GROHE has terrible customer service. I can't even get thru their phones due to constant busy signals.

Jon
California

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is an uneducated guess...what do the instructions say about the depth of the fixture verses the wall? Is yours installed exactly to the proper depth? Is it possible that it is recessed too much such that the stubs aren't long enough to lock into the faceplate?

Spotfin

Reaction score
faceplate

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I finally figured it out. I simply put water on the o rings which made it easier to slip into the holes of the faceplate. INterestingly vaseline, grease did not help, but water did!

Jon

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The military happens to use a bunch of one particular type of connector - it is common to radios which is a pain to install because of an o-ring. While it is a little gross, people often take their finger and some spit and lubricate them to install. It is almost impossible to do it otherwise. Hopefully the petrolium won't degrade the rubber in time - some rubber compounds turn to mush after awhile if exposed to that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks