How Do I Grout This Decorative Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I'm using Lactricrete Grout. 'They' told me that the 'sand' in this grout is round - and will not scratch the glass. My other concern is that I won't be able to get the grout out of the embossed / natural stone tiles.

I'm an engineer from Lehigh - and I don't believe the 'round' sand thing. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

We have about 16 sq/ft - my wife wanted this - I was thinking - well Dear, you gotta put blue tape over the glass and embossed tile.

I think I could guilt her into doing it!

Take a look:

Decorative_Tile.jpg

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I kill me.

Doug - try scratch the tile. Try a brass wire brush. Bet you don't. Then when your grouting use this same brush to clean out the groves. If you do scratch the tile - which you won't then be very very careful....

Then go get some chips.... For your wife. She will have the munchies soon.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Doug...Go ahead and grout sanded. USE bottled water...Use a softer float and dont lose any sleep. Dont overwater and dont keep over sponging it. Know when to stop and you will win....use patience and hyper focus.

On a sealing note....... DO NOT USE 511 impregnator from Miracle sealants if you want the illusion of a warranty "dream"

Miracle failed to back up their warranty with me by deluding me with forms to fill out, emails, and deadlines, scare tacticts and might i say insulting uneducated sounding telephone tech support. Not even a replacement bottle of sealer offered from the factory.......Dupont is making some solid sealing and cleaning products......

Lesson learned. The tinfoil seal on the bottle can fail. The sealer may turn yellow in transit, the tech support will tell you its ok keep using it....I did and its costing me BIG MONEY and flustered clients. I guess I should have recorded my phone converstaion with said tech person as he lied to me and later changed his theory.

New plan moving fwd: GET names of the tech support person, ask if they are recording the conversation and request a written transcript..........The dream AKA warrantys.

DougB

Reaction score
My next question was about a sealer. I have through body porcelain tile - my understanding is it doesn't need to be sealed.

So I want something for the decorative stone mosaics and the grout. I want something that won't change the finish (not to make it darker or look wet).

What product would you use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't have a bag handy, but the data sheet says nothing about using a sealer either for or against...it does say that the inhibitors in it can help prevent staining caused by mold, but that is only one way grout can be stained. In their troubleshooting, the question is asked about how long before you can install a sealer (minimum of 48-hours or longer, if the sealer you choose requires it)...and, is discussed here: http://www.laticrete.com/architects/product_support/faq/troubleshooting_a_project/cement_grouts.aspx

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
3 steps for killer grout jobs

Did you guys smell that? The air quality just changed.

Doug read the bag. Last shower I used Permacolour on - the bag said not to use a sealer. Pretty sure it said that because I read the bag. Perhaps that is just for one colour. Who knows.

Don't trust the Ditra Salesman - I emailed Arthur Minte at Laticrete Technical and asked him if I was crazy and read it wrong 14 months ago. Lets wait and see what he says.

While we wait for Arthur to email back. Read this article I wrote for Houzz.com

3 Steps for Grouting That Looks Its Best

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Laticrete site says this:
How long should I wait after grouting before I can seal my grout?
LATICRETE would recommend that their cement based grouts (e.g. LATICRETE[SUP]®[/SUP] PermaColor Grout, LATICRETE 1500 Sanded Grout or LATICRETE 1600 Unsanded Grout) cure for a minimum of 48 hours at 70°F (21°C). You should also check with the manufacturer of the grout sealer to determine if the grout must cure for a longer period of time before using any particular sealing product. LATICRETE SpectraLOCK[SUP]®[/SUP] PRO Grout and LATICRETE SpectraLOCK 2000 IG are epoxy based grouts, and, as such, do not require the use of a grout sealer.
Now, why would they list PermaColor Grout in that discussion, if you could not seal it? Forget the insults...this is from Laticrete's own website.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Does someone smell that? Jim's back.

I'm waiting to here back from Arthur like I said above. Pretty sure I used Permacolour grout on this job.

Grouting+Blanco+Ono+tile.jpg

Jim - humour the crowd. Can you show any project you grouted? You have never shared a picture in ten plus years to my knowledge. You do realize people know your a pretend builder - just some random old guy in a basement office trying to sound important. Loving his key strokes and witty banter..... Sad Old Man.

Pretty sure I read the bag when I grouted that wall.

Pretty sure it said no sealer.

Since there is confusion I emailed Laticrete's top tech - Arthur. Pretty sure that is the man who will answer the question right.

Who here needs Jim to read for them? I don't. And that smell - can't you smell that smell....

Last edited:

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Permacolor is top of the line cement grout. Use it with confidence.

That said, there's a few things to consider.
1- anytime you grout a tile with sanded grout, scratching the tile is a possibility. To be sure, make a small test board and push hard with grout float and see how it does. I've never scratched a questionable tile with Permacolor, neither stone, glass or other, but there's always a first time - Test before committing to your entire project!
2- Permacolor is a rapid setting grout. Mix small batches that you carefully weigh and measure the water too. I try to stop batches at corners so's any color change is less noticeable. Once you're comfortable with grout placement and cleanup, mix larger batches if you want to.
3- We've always sealed Permacolor. It's a cement grout, it's porous, and a quality pro sealer will help reduce maintenance.

Have fun. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Doug - I never heard back from Laticrete but I did find that old bag of PermaColour. Looks like I'm on crack. No where does it say not to use a sealer. Not sure where I picked that up but I was convinced I read this. Maybe it's the SpectraLock Pro that does not get it. Sorry to mess with your head.

My BAD.

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
In from Laticrete -

"Thank you for the message. Please note that PERMA COLOR Grout can be sealed. It is an ANSI A118.7 compliant high performance cement based grout. Although it has improved stain resistance, when compared to traditional / standard ANSI A118.6 compliant cement grouts, a sealer can improve its performance and make it more resistant to spills and stains.

Hope this helps."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks