How do I flush my Champion Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

bgbs

Reaction score
I have no idea how to flush my aged Champion Water Heater: model# RMI5035SN9 (apparently the internet or google cannot find any information on this manufacturer or model)

I watched Youtube video about connecting the hose and unscrewing the little handle with a screwdriver, but my heater has a different flush valve. Any ideas how to unscrew it. I tried unscrewing it by hand but I'm afraid I will break it.

Any ideas?
Images attached

champion-wh-1.jpg

champion-wh-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flushing a water heater is only effective if done periodically, like once a year. If you have never flushed your WH, no use starting now, judging by the age of your WH.
Just continue using your WH till it stops, leaks or whatever and then a new one. Or, change it now. Your WH has an open flame compartment, which is not to code in many cities anymore.

It opens counter-clockwise.
Sometimes leaving the water on helps to force sediment through that might otherwise block the draining. Make sure you have access to quickly shutoff the water supply at the top though.
For a tank to drain with the water off, a hot tap needs to be open somewhere.

water-heater-drain-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would unscrew by hand even using force. If hand force did not do it, I would use a wrench myself. If you need to replace the valve or cap a nipple, the thread is the common 3/4 inch NPT.

I replaced my plastic valve with a ball valve, but that is not needed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the previous replies. There is no use even trying to flush a 20 year old water heater. When you get a new one, immediately replace the piece of junk drain valve and replace it with a 3/4" ball valve. It's pretty easy to do on a new heater, but you do need a pretty good pipe wrench. The nipple has to be removed and then the new valve screw in. Nipple will likely be pretty tight, so some effort will be required.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was not aware that Rheem had change to brass, but my basic advice is still to replace the valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was not aware that Rheem had change to brass, but my basic advice is still to replace the valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve.

At least the ones from the plumbing supply place. I don't know about Home Depot's Rheems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks